Social Anxiety Support Forum banner
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
931 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Do you think you could ever be completely comfortable with another person? So comfortable that you wouldn't mind them being around 24/7? I have a hard time seeing this as being possible. It seems I would need to get away to relax every day. But at the same time my life is so empty. I don't know if I would prefer an empty life or never being relaxed.

·
I like to shoot jumpshots
291 Posts
I have yet to meet someone I would be comfy 24/7. I have known my parents since well birth and I still get edgy around them at times.

·
Registered
192 Posts
Do you think you could ever be completely comfortable with another person? So comfortable that you wouldn't mind them being around 24/7? I have a hard time seeing this as being possible. It seems I would need to get away to relax every day. But at the same time my life is so empty. I don't know if I would prefer an empty life or never being relaxed.
Why would you want to be around a person 24/7? Even if it was a husband/wife, people need to have some time apart. Too much togetherness isn't healthy.

I could be comfortable around a person up to a point. But being around one person 24/7 would drive me nuts.

·
Registered
931 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I mean most of the time... I work 40 hours/wk, and then I go home. I suppose I go shopping every now and then.... but really we'd be together most of the time (if we were married). Every afternoon, every weekend, every time I wake up, etc. Pretty much all my free time, which I would normally use to relax.

·
Registered
192 Posts
I see what you are saying now. I guess it would depend on the person I'm with. Some people have personalities that can help you relax. You probably shouldn't be with a person who is clingy, insecure or needy. Those types won't give you much alone time.

·
Done with SA
1,818 Posts
I've only ever been comfortable with four people that I know of. Three of which are relatives I've known since they were born.
Other than that, I'm not comfortable with anyone and it takes me a good while to get comfortable with someone. At least a few weeks to a few months, depends on the person and their personality and how comfortable they make me feel around them.

·
Registered
14,599 Posts
There are the rare occasions that I meet someone and there is some instant connection. Some people I can know for years and never be comfortable around. There is no set time for me; each case is unique.

·
PreciousGleamingMcNugget
5,593 Posts
I have four people: My mom, my boyfriend, and my two best friends.

It takes a lot to be that comfortable around someone. Mostly, it's about them being similar to you and having the same opinions about everyday behavior, like food and hygiene and bodily functions. :eek: You have to know a lot about each other and be aware of each other's anxieties and problems.

Of course, getting that far with anyone is nearly impossible for people with SA. My mom is a default, my friends are, too, in a way, because I've known them since childhood, and my boyfriend...is nothing short of a miracle.

·
Entranced
318 Posts
some people I can relax around right away. Others (beautiful girls) keep me nervous pretty much all the time and I never relax.

·
Registered
195 Posts
I am not completely comfortable with anyone (besides immediate family). If I were, I think I would feel ok telling them about my SA but i haven't to date. I feel like I'm hiding this huge part of what defines me.

·
Losing Ground
2,121 Posts
How long it takes me to get comfortable with someone depends on the person. I've had GFs in the past who I was really super comfortable with and others I could be somewhat anxious around. I don't think I could ever be 100% comfortable with anyone, but I think I could get pretty close, and I have in the past. But even then I couldn't be around them 24/7- I'd like to have other friends and some alone-time as well. I always thought it would be kind of difficult to live with a GF (I never have) just because I do really like my independence but I think I would get used to it after a little while if I was comfortable with the person.

·
The Phoenix
381 Posts
Uh, as long as it takes?

·
Hear, See , Be silent
1,421 Posts
years........

·
Registered
18,888 Posts
Do you think you could ever be completely comfortable with another person? So comfortable that you wouldn't mind them being around 24/7?
I don't know. I'd like to think so, but I do worry about that... what if I'm not able to reach that comfort level with someone?...

I have yet to meet someone I would be comfy 24/7. I have known my parents since well birth and I still get edgy around them at times.
:ditto

1 - 17 of 17 Posts