Social Anxiety Support Forum banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
jaynex10
1,529 Posts
With all due respect to Bender, that is only one definition of irony. Irony can also be a discrepancy between what is expected to happen, and what actually happens. For example, it would be ironic if someone's house burnt down in a fire that was started by a malfunctioning fire detector.

·
jaynex10
1,529 Posts
No, it's irony, because the expectation has been set that a fire alarm will prevent, not cause, the burning down of one's house. Thus, the discrepancy.

If you want an example of coincidence being confused with irony, look at that Alanis Morissette song Ironic. Take the first example, "An old man turned ninety-eight, he won the lottery and died the next day."

There's nothing about winning the lottery that establishes any expectation of not dieing, especially when the dude is 98 years old. That's hardly even a coincidence, that's just a bummer, lol. She probably should have just titled that song Unfortunate.

Edit- Sorry, we totally sidetracked your thread.

·
Banned
1,662 Posts
If Irory is the use of words expressing something other than there intention then does that mean when Bart calls Moe's tavern and say's " I'm looking for Amanda, Amanda huginkiss" is that irony.

·
jaynex10
1,529 Posts

Now, that is irony.

·
Banned
2,619 Posts
Ironically yesterday before the site went down a poster here created a thread about a situation he had with a female friend he spoke about what happened and how he reacted and later on I could see that he was in time coming to terms with what he had done there are obviously still things for the OP to think about but he was starting to at least see what he had done.

It was Ironic because just days before that I was in my own situation that was downright ugly and I let my own emotions get the best of me I let little things eat me up and get to me and I lashed out it definitely taught me a lesson and like him I truly accepted the actions I had taken and understood the consequences and people's feelings and humbled myself and it was Ironic to see someone in a situation where they needed redemption and compassion the way I did. For us it's about healing and about not letting one thing define our lives.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts