Social Anxiety Support Forum banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Banned
296 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
First off let me apologize for my username. I am in the midst of getting it changed because of its rather obvious offensive nature. I chose it last year during a WW2 nostalgic phase and not for the political orientation / deeds of the group.

Anyway....

I've always been a shy bloke, from the time I was a little kid up till now. But two years ago my social anxiety became so horrendous that it was difficult to keep eye contact, or maintain any type of social interaction. This was basically my rock bottom point with this disorder and evidenced by a loss of job and shutting myself in my room all the time.

As the days dragged on I increasingly became frustrated with this ordeal and felt like any time I attempted exposure activities it would only lead to more disappointment. You know... feeling extremely awkward at the store and ruminating about it constantly for hours on end after. I should add of course that CBT was never really my cup of tea, and I had decided not to go down the med route. I had a small, dangling amount of faith with exposure techniques, but felt that my own attempts at this were always futile.

Eventually within the last four months or so, a gradual change of mind/attitude began to take place which reaped positive results. Us people with SA are so concerned with controlling every aspect of our anxious thoughts and demeanor that it can become overwhelming when these certain circumstances develop. The key in my experiences, is to give up and declare to yourself that you have lost the control and it is out of your hands. Ultimately this is the purest form of acceptance .

This is not an overnight process, but a gradual shift in your mentality that can make it much easier to deal with situations that would normally provoke severe anxiety within us. It actually seems like the exact opposite way you would think to approach this, but trust me, it can work! By putting yourself into anxiety producing situations and not being hyper vigilant about the results, you send signals to your brain that ''oh this wasn't actually too bad''. It's a continuous struggle when we ruminate over mistakes and what we perceive to be embarrassments - so once you can effectively cut this out, it kills a large part of the anxiety. Acceptance (I've found) is truly the way forward. You must be patient and not overly scrutinize yourself if you don't notice any changes right away. It can take awhile for our minds to re-train themselves, so to speak.

Well, this has been a strategy that has truly helped me in overcoming this disorder. My anxiety in social situations has gone from a 10 to a 2 in such a short period of time after this implementation. I hope that someone will find at least some of this information useful and worth a shot.

Btw, below is a site that helped a great deal for me.

http://www.panicend.com/

Peace

·
Registered
154,233 Posts
Welcome, WaffenSS! :)

·
Banned
177,223 Posts
Hey Waffen SS welcome. :hyper

·
Banned
3,564 Posts
Welcome! :D

If you don't mind me asking, how long did it take for you to get from a "10 to a 2" in social situations? :)

·
Banned
296 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Welcome! :D

If you don't mind me asking, how long did it take for you to get from a "10 to a 2" in social situations? :)
Hi there.

It took me about 2 months of using the acceptance technique before I noticed any significant progress. The subsequent two months after that felt like a cake walk comparably; because I became more confident in my abilities for a wide array of situations. The key is steady exposure and complete acceptance of the anxiety you feel. It might be discouraging at first when you stop trying to fight it because that's our natural response - ergo- fight or flight. Stick with it and good luck! :)

·
Registered
9 Posts
it sounds like flooding technique used with specific phobias (I was just reading up on it recently because of my own anxiety). It is clinically proven effective if you can force yourself to go through with it. Right now I'm trying to work myself up to do something of that sort.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts