Social Anxiety Support Forum banner

1 - 20 of 100 Posts

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Wow.

I'm still getting used to my new headspace. It's seriously freaky feeling like one chill, smooth mutha****a all the time now :boogie. I went from being the most insecure person in a room to one of the most confident in one week.

I tried tons of resources, traditional therapy, nlp, hypnosis blablabla.

Even self-imposed "exposure" therapy didn't work (singing in public etc...) It would give me temporary relief but then I'd fall back into super insecurity/self consciousness.

Anyways that's all gone now.

Here's what I used. You can be skeptical all you want, I remember when I had SAD how skeptical and negative I was of pretty much everything. Definitely NOT judging anyone for having that mindset, you can't help it pretty much. (well you can kinda fight it but not very well). Oh yeah and this is 100% free, the site relies on donations (I plan on donating $100 once I get my next paycheck).

www.selftherapy.org

Listen to all the audios and do the main exercise (in part 6) relentlessly. Don't be discouraged if you don't feel relief at first, you probably WON'T. The whole point is to not try to avoid your emotions anymore or suppress the anxiety. MAKE SURE when you're doing the exercises that you DO NOT do it to "feel relaxed" or even to feel better. I know that sounds weird, but like the audios will explain (listen to all of them) your goal is to KNOW your emotions and feel them completely.

I worked at this basically all day long for the first two days, it was a constant mental battle. Now I don't mean I was sitting in my room with my eyes closed all day, I went out into social situations specifically to feel that gutwrenching anxiety and handle it exactly the way the program demonstrates. I literally spent all day of those two days constantly refocusing my mind (again in the way the program explains, it's not about avoiding the feelings or thinking positive or CBT or anything). My brain was literally exhausted at the end of the day (in a good way). Eventually it started getting more natural. Now (6 days later) it's automatic. But PLEASE don't put too much pressure on yourself to feel like if you're not completely better in one week it doesn't work. The person who recommended it to me said it took him 2 months of non-stop use. (he might have done it less than I was doing it though)

This is NOT a coping method. It has COMPLETELY removed any trace of self-consciousness that I had (I had SAD for 12 years and yes it was horrible and was the dominant force in my life).

After you master that program I suggest you look into a book called "Oceans of Energy" by Silvia Hartmann. This one unfortunately isn't free, but it's dirt cheap. Honestly though the first program might be enough to get rid of SAD (it was for me). I don't care what your thoughts are about Eastern medicine and energy therapies, this stuff is LEGIT. It's far more powerful than EFT too (I tried EFT and it didn't help).

It has similar ideas to the first program but expands on it a bit. I recommend you stick with the first program though for a while, it's easier to understand and to use.

Feel free to ask questions about it, but try it out on your own for the first two days. Don't be a lazyass ;)

·
Registered
14 Posts
Sad programs

damn sounds great, but is it really? i'm currently doing a CBT program. the CBT program deosn't take much of my time and since it's the summer i would like to work on overcoming SAD more. would doing this program you recommend interfere with the CBT program i'm currently doing? i know you aren't a professional but i just want your take on it. thanks

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Yes this is real. I feel like a new person. Or like a better version of myself. It continues to get better too, and I have no doubt that as I continue to get new positive experiences it will just snowball.

The only problem I can think of is that the "thinking positive thoughts" and "countering" negative feelings could totally **** this up. Listen to the audios and you'll understand why.

This is basically the OPPOSITE approach, but it worked like a charm.

It's your call bro. If I were you I would stop CBT completely for a week and focus on this. If it doesn't work (which I doubt), you can always go back to CBT without having lost too much ground. I just don't want you to try this WITH CBT and then have it backfire.

The cool thing about this is once you get the method down you can do it in your head all the time throughout the day during other activities etc. But I reccommend spending at least half an hour a couple times a day doing it "focused", in your room, eyes closed etc.

·
Registered
2,029 Posts
ya i already gave that a quick listen a few months ago but gave up on it. ill give it another chance. lol at donating $100.

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
^^^
Haha funny you should say that I did that too. Tried it once and then gave up.

Quick word of advice, when you're out socializing, instead of doing your usual "think of things to say" focus 100% on that feeling in your body caused by the anxiety (but think of it has something neutral---energy, not something negative). You will literally be unable to be thinking of things to say because your mind is so focused on something else. One trap I would fall into was that I would do the thing, and then once I felt a little relief/confidence start AGAIN "thinking of things to say". DON'T DO THIS. FOCUS 100% on THE FEELING IN YOUR BODY EVEN IF IT MEANS YOU'RE BEING DEAD QUIET AMONGST A GROUP OF PEOPLE.

This makes you authentic, and naturally social, because people without anxiety do not "think" in social situations at all. And bam, you'll start talking automatically (or not, but you'll be one of those "quiet chill guys"---James Bond style.)

·
Registered
33 Posts
it sounds like you're a little bit TOO keen on this therapy - would it be possible you have some vested interest in it? forgive my cynicism :L

·
Registered
2,029 Posts
thats impressive you could pull that off in 6 days. it would take me years to develop that kind of mental concentraion. I think this program is alot like meditation. For the most part it takes alot of time and practice to develop but has great rewards. For someone just starting out i don't know how one could possibly act normal and calm when there is so much rushing through your head. Without the effects of drugs i think its pretty much impossible to change your state of mind just by thinking. This isn't a matter of simply turning off the s.a. switch. I think its much deeper then that.

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
kos

It's really not that hard. It was tough on my first day, but think about it, you're already probably pre-occupied 24/7 by your anxiety, all you have to do is shift your focus somewhat.

bob_sleigh you can think whatever you want. Ask yourself this, if you were completely healed by XYZ tommorow, would you be not making that big a deal about it or proclaiming its awesomeness everyhwere.

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Frostie I really don't care what you think about me, I know what it's like to be super skeptical.

Just check it out man you have nothing to lose.

It's not a miracle cure, but it's attacking the root of the problem and that endless vicious catch 22 cycle where you're anxious about being anxious.

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
And btw I have no experience with meditation.

Really, it's easier than you think to focus on it.

It's just becoming intensely aware of the small alterations of feeling caused by the anxiety in your body.

This is different from mediation though (like the guy in the audio says) in that you're not emptying yourself of feeling, you're FILLING yourself with it.

I'll also add that this has helped me tremendously with ALL my emotional problems (getting angry at my mom etc.)

It's awsome.

·
Registered
2,029 Posts
i just think s.a. is more of a physiological problem that can only be delt with 2 ways. 1)Exposure 2) Drugs. Clearly those of us with s.a. have a little bit of an imbalance in brain chemestry. As a result physical symptoms will develop ie...sweating, blushing, trembling, you know all that good stuff. I don't know how "just feeling" what you are feeling is going to alter your state of mind or change brain waves and brain fuctioning. When physical symptoms arise they can't be reversed quickly and will clearly be noticed by those around you which causes further embaressment.

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
The imbalance in your brain chemistry is because your thought patterns are ****ed up. Fix the thought patterns (not through positive thinking though) and your chemistry realligns. Even CBT proponents agree with this.

I did TONS of exposure, **** that would terrify all my social/confident friends.

It always gave temporary relief but then I fell backwards again because I was always afraid of when the SAD would again rear its ugly head.

You won't understand it until you try it.

It's like trying to explain how a spaceship works to a caveman. IT's completely outside your reality, and I understand how it feels. If I found this thread I'd probably be very skeptical, but I'd at least try it for a few days.

You have absolutely nothing to lose.

The main reason is that it removes the fear of fearing your next attack of SAD. With that removal, the SAD goes away next pretty quick.

LISTEN TO THE DAMN AUDIOS.

·
Registered
2,029 Posts
please tell us about the expose situations you did. what you were feeling. what your physical symptoms were. and how you over came them.

·
SAS Member
31,286 Posts
Thanks for the link.

I listened to a couple tapes and I think the only problem I have is his voice. It just has this steady and low tone to it that it makes me a little sleepy after awhile.

·
Banned
768 Posts
Nox, I'm usually not one to question other people's motives or inject any kind of skepticism as I believe there are many ways of approaching SA, and to each his or her own. But your OP sounds A LOT like an advertisement.

·
Registered
444 Posts
I will definately give it a shot. Seriously, what do we have to lose?

·
Registered
80 Posts
I will definately give it a shot. Seriously, what do we have to lose?
same here.

even if he is "advertising it", it's still free on the site... :um

·
Frostie
1,035 Posts
Frostie I really don't care what you think about me, I know what it's like to be super skeptical.

Just check it out man you have nothing to lose.

It's not a miracle cure, but it's attacking the root of the problem and that endless vicious catch 22 cycle where you're anxious about being anxious.
I didn't realize it was free, but I still think what you're doing is spamming and atrocious. What expertise do you have in treating SAD? Doctors have been trying for years to come up with treatments for SAD and all of a sudden you've found the miracle cure? Please. You come on here with a 10 post count and give desperate people false hope. I can't believe the mods allow this kind of crap.

1 - 20 of 100 Posts