Social Anxiety Support Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
119 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So, I had been diagnosed with SA by a medical worker about mid summer (she said i had it but im not sure if it is documented..) and it has been recently been getting worst. I want to go and get help and talk to a psychologist but i think that they may think i only have SA because I am well.. fat. :afr. But seriously though, I dont think I have social anxiety because of my weight, I believe it came from a speech problem I had when I was young. But Im afraid of the psychologist thinking it is only because of my weight, i believe even if i was slightly overweight, normal, skinny w/e i believe id still have social anxiety.:fall .. I don't know, I really need help though cause I am attending a vocational school this year which has a attendence requirement.. 3 absents per quarter.. im down to like 4 or 5.. most of which i skiped because of either normal stuff like sick.. but one was a assembly cause well.. their terrifying and the other was actually today i had stayed in my home school's iss all day because i "missed the bus" so i didnt have to go to our halloween party.. cause my teacher is just so sure that she can make me UN shy.. im like.. uhhh.. you may be a nurse.. but your not a miracle worker. idk.. im kinda ranting.:mum but how do i tell my mom i want to see a psychologist because of SA? how have you told your parents in the past?

·
Registered
978 Posts
First, there are many things that factor into social anxiety, it's a combination of genetics and environment, in my opinion. A good psychologist will explore and help you uncover those issues.

Second, I didn't tell my parents .. actually I tried but they didn't listen. I waited until I had my own health insurance. I would do all you can, though, to get help now. The longer you wait, the harder it is. I also just wrote my family a letter last week, explaining my condition. PM me if you want details.

Good luck! Welcome, by the way! :)

·
Banned
177,222 Posts
Hey Emma, welcome to :sas

·
Registered
154,231 Posts
Welcome, WhiteXCloud! :)

·
roarrrr
4,876 Posts
Me: Mom. I'm having recurring ideations about stepping in front of an oncoming truck. I think I need to a therapist right now.

Mom: Oh my gawd. I'll get the number right now!

Oh, welcome to SAS, by the way.

·
No longer good at posting
1,233 Posts
You could tell her that you think it would be good for you, and that it was recommended. It's hard to argue with that, if you are afraid of you mom declining. You really want to go though don't you? That's what is important. I want to go myself, out of curiosity and seeing if it will improve my life. I was recommended by a doctor, and my parent's are really open minded.

I hope everything works out. Let us know, and hope you like it here. :)

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.