Social Anxiety Support Forum banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
---------------------------- ▓▓▓▓Groovy▓▓▓▓
7,505 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
For me it depends, like if it is meats or dairy it gets tossed out right away.. I might go a day or two after, if it smells okay.. but that is only when money is tight. For dry goods, I could go for a month or more depending on how it looks, of course not bread, that I might do for up to a week after. We do typically freeze bread though, so it will show well past the expiration date, but it is still good.

I've seen entire youtube series where people eat food way past the expiration date, and find it pretty interesting. I would never push my luck that much, but these people go the full distance. Things like 50 year old beer, MREs from WW2, and so on.

There are a few videos like this, which for some reason I find entertaining. When I was poor, we would often get food from food banks, and it was pretty common that it would be expired.. also my mother in law used to keep food for months after expiring, I remember when I first met her she gave me a coke and I drank it.. realizing shortly after it was nearly 20 years old.. bleh.. had a weird metallic taste to it.

·
Registered
4,914 Posts
I generally obey expiration dates, except for eggs, where I allow up to 1 more day. "Best before" dates, I pretty much ignore them. All products should have an expiration date tbh. Like, yeah, it's cool to know when the product might start to lose its flavor, but I'd rather know how long before it becomes dangerous.

·
Administrator
8,877 Posts
I ate dark chocolate that was a year past its best before a few weeks ago, and it was the same as when it was new.

If it is "use by," I won't usually eat or drink it unless it still looks and smells normal and has only gone past by a few days. It depends what it is for "best before."

It's hard to tell when soup and other canned food expires because it isn't always written on the can/tin. I opened chicken and corn soup a few years ago and it had gone thick and it smelled bad. I didn't eat that.

·
SAS Member
8800 blue lick road
41,989 Posts
I've probably done this before but I mostly obey them, unless it's like a best before instead of use by date but with meat and stuff I wouldn't risk it, but then most stuff I eat is frozen so I'm not technically paying attention to the date but the amount of time that's passed. One time I got really sick either from food or alcohol poisoning it's hard to say because I did get drunk before so it might have been alcohol, and I was in a really bad state for an entire week and even after that I still had some issues, so not really risking it.

·
Loathed Loiterer
7,871 Posts
If it's dried packaged snacks or canned stuff, I've often consume them well past 2 years of expiration date. Same with certain basic otc meds as well if they're tablets or pills.

·
Terminator
13,158 Posts

If it is "use by," I won't usually eat or drink it unless it still looks and smells normal and has only gone past by a few days. It depends what it is for "best before."
This is me as well. Great minds think alike again. ;)

·
Registered
445 Posts
Recently at my parents' house I ate some brie cheese that tasted a bit strange. Turned out it was 3 months past expiration. I was waiting for food poisoning to kick in but luckily nothing happened.

·
alien monk
8,439 Posts
5% or a couple of days

·
Super Moderator
33,687 Posts
I'm pretty disinclined to take risks on stuff like this unless I have done it before with that particular product and never had a problem. I'm becoming less and less inclined to take those risks the older I get. I really don't want food poisoning.

·
Self isolating from self
3,011 Posts
I'm pretty disinclined to take risks on stuff like this unless I have done it before with that particular product and never had a problem. I'm becoming less and less inclined to take those risks the older I get. I really don't want food poisoning.
I'm still waiting to find out how that canned ground beef was. Or does it have an amazing shelf life. :grin2:

·
Super Moderator
33,687 Posts
I'm still waiting to find out how that canned ground beef was. Or does it have an amazing shelf life. :grin2:
It was ground beef. Pretty greasy. Not sure if it was greasier than fresh ground beef but yeah. I tend to avoid ground beef because it's so greasy. It tasted exactly like fresh ground beef though.

·
Self isolating from self
3,011 Posts
It was ground beef. Pretty greasy. Not sure if it was greasier than fresh ground beef but yeah. I tend to avoid ground beef because it's so greasy. It tasted exactly like fresh ground beef though.
Seems like you got what was advertised. Honestly, I would have expected it be over salted, or to have a weird preservative taste.

I have a few cans of soup that are a few months past the expiration date. They still seem good though. But yeah, if it looks sketchy it's not worth taking a chance on.

·
Loathed Loiterer
7,871 Posts
I did just took some benadryl that has an expiration of August 2018.

·
SAS Member
14,411 Posts
A lot of what we eat is kind of past date. Like meat for example, they cut the blueish parts in grocery stores and put in back on the shelf with a fresher sticker and sell it. Same with veggies like lettuce, they take out the dark leaves and wrap it and sell it. Also with fish. Fish doesn't smell and if it does it means it's not too fresh. You always strong fish smells in grocery store near a sign that says fresh fish lol.

And grapes too, they will take a bunch of older grapes and put it at the bottom of a bag and toss a new batch on top to make it seem like its all fresh.

They have all sorts of little tricks to screw us, but at least we're not eating soylent green yet.

Anyway, im not picky in the slightest. I used to eat stuff my dad brought back from dumpster diving. Nice donuts and stuff still all packaged fresh and they were good even days later.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts