Social Anxiety Support Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
203 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I've been seeing a humanistic therapist for nearly a month now and have seen very little progress. I need a more directive approach, however please don't suggest CBT because I haven't experienced much progress with that either. Thanks guys.

·
Banned
76 Posts
IMO you need a therapist who will deal directly with your SA,and do role playing with you and offer helpful advice, such a therapist should be happy and socially active, sadly many therapists have serious psychiatric problems themselves so its the blind leading the blind, searching for subconscious causes IMO is a waste of time and money:mum

CBT that teaches you new ways of calming and relaxing yourself is always helpful

in general, the more sophisticated and indirect the therapy, the less helpful it is

·
Full circle, new highway
365 Posts
I think that if I approached life as if it was all one big play, or big movie, then it would be easier but my mind always sees it as "serious reality."

·
UnDeRrAtED
34,710 Posts
As good as paying for an expensive friend

·
Registered
375 Posts
I've found that the approach/theory that they use is less important than the connection that you have with that therapist. I would encourage you to not close the door to Cognitive Behavioral just because it wasn't successful with past therapists.
I don't think I've ever experienced Psychodynamic (although I'm supposed to be learning how to do it in school soon). Let us know how it is, if you see someone for that!

1 - 8 of 8 Posts