Social Anxiety Support Forum banner
1 - 20 of 34 Posts

·
Registered
130 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
How is weather changing my mood to better? The sun came out today after 10 days of rain.

·
Registered
161 Posts
I hate the winters because of the longer nights. I hate staring out my office window and seeing it dark at 5:15 p.m.

·
Registered
150 Posts
Weather has a huge impact on my mood. I mean I try to stay happy during rainy days but it's totally different from a sunny day. All I want to do during rainy days are to stay indoors and maybe watch a movie.

The only time i enjoy rain/ lightening is during my sleep. I love to sleep to rain hitting the roof.

When it's sunny, you get a lot of vitamin d which is good and it helps with your mood.

·
Quack
1,673 Posts
This entire winter season I've only been outside, on average, once a week. I only have to look outside my window to get into a bad mood.

·
Registered
197 Posts
I LOVE rainy days. I love the rain. I love the sound of it when I'm indoors. It inspires me to write more.

·
Registered
13 Posts
I think that using the weather as a mood compass just makes you a victim of circumstance. The only thing I dont like about the rain is when I have to get to my car.

Although im sure in some subconscious way the weather does affect my mood to some degree.

·
♎ Mackinac Island Fanatic
28,958 Posts
I love gloomy days. Warm gloomy days especially are exciting to me, like I'm anticipating something. Darkness vs. light doesn't affect my mood. I don't have much against rain either; it's nice to sit inside and watch it. Temperature, however, does affect my mood. The colder it is the more miserable and, well, gloomy I get. It's nice sometimes to curl up in the warmth inside, but when I have to go out in the cold I'm just so miserable.

Sunlight is also often very glary and bothersome to me. When it's gloomy/overcast there's so much more subtlety of color...sunlight strips that mystery away. It has its place, but its place is not on cold days.

I adore warm gloomy days...I LOATHE frigid sunny days! :no

·
SAS Member
7,407 Posts
Weather has an enormous impact on my mood. I usually feel a little bit down on a cloudy or rainy day, and during the winter I get depressed. On sunny days i'm almost always content, and summer puts me in a spectacular mood. I think I might have Seasonal Affective Disorder. :stu

·
Registered
1,896 Posts
Living up in Canada, I definitely get much more winter than I do spring or summer so I take in as much sun as I can whenever it comes out!

It's been cold and cloudy for quite some time now. Occasionally the sun peaks out and I'll be in a REALLY good mood during the day :) just feels good to see everything lightened up, people are out, and it's just kind of warm outside. Seeing blue skies makes me happy too.

I guess that must sound weird LOL but it gets depressing when every day is cold and grey.

·
Registered
24 Posts
I think that using the weather as a mood compass just makes you a victim of circumstance.
Agreed. It's always trouble to base your mood on something you can't control.

That being said, I think it's easy to let the weather get to you. I live in Southern California and October/November always gives us these terrible warm, sunny days with long nights and it's just... terrible. Absolutely terrible. It makes the world seem so lifeless.

·
Registered
130 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Living up in Canada, I definitely get much more winter than I do spring or summer so I take in as much sun as I can whenever it comes out!

It's been cold and cloudy for quite some time now. Occasionally the sun peaks out and I'll be in a REALLY good mood during the day :) just feels good to see everything lightened up, people are out, and it's just kind of warm outside. Seeing blue skies makes me happy too.

I guess that must sound weird LOL but it gets depressing when every day is cold and grey.
You rarely must have sunny days over there, don't you? The sunlight is magical. It's not weird. I can understrand.

·
Registered
617 Posts
Last night gave me a nice mood to sit down and watch '' Corpse Bride ''

Besides that, i usually like rainy and cloudy days even if I'm happy or sad. Not quite sure why people freak out over getting wet though.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Weather affects my mood a lot. I tend to feel down when I don't get enough sunlight. I think I give the idea of "sunny days are happy and rainy days are sad" too much power.

·
Registered
338 Posts
I love miserable days. Rain, snow, anything like that.

I will say though that this winter I've been craving sunshine and warmth more than I ever have before. Any little scent from outside and I'm overloaded with feelings of anticipation. Nothing but scentless heavy snow everywhere all of the time can drive one insane.

Once summer comes and the hot days begin to linger I know I'll be asking for lots and lots of rain to break things up. It's always a mood booster for me.

Ions have a lot to do with why a lot of us like rainy days.

Negative ions are odorless, tasteless, and invisible molecules that we inhale in abundance in certain environments. Think mountains, waterfalls, and beaches. Once they reach our bloodstream, negative ions are believed to produce biochemical reactions that increase levels of the mood chemical serotonin, helping to alleviate depression, relieve stress, and boost our daytime energy.

Generally speaking, negative ions increase the flow of oxygen to the brain; resulting in higher alertness, decreased drowsiness, and more mental energy," says Pierce J. Howard, PhD, author of The Owners Manual for the Brain: Everyday Applications from Mind Brain Research and director of research at the Center for Applied Cognitive Sciences in Charlotte, N.C.

1 - 20 of 34 Posts