Social Anxiety Support Forum banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
206 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I wonder what people think of people that have social anxiety? My guess would be that most people don't even know of it. I mean i didn't even know there was a name for this until i found this site:). People probably think weird, strange, quite, different, or just not very friendly:(. It would be nice if more people were aware of it so they might not think like this straight off.

·
Registered
229 Posts
I don't think many people have heard of it and the ones who have don't have a proper understanding of it. A lot of people don't realize that this is truly difficult and something that affects every day life. It's definitely a struggle and I think people don't recognize the significant difference between shyness and SAD

·
Banned
3,564 Posts
I don't think many people have heard of it and the ones who have don't have a proper understanding of it. A lot of people don't realize that this is truly difficult and something that affects every day life. It's definitely a struggle and I think people don't recognize the significant difference between shyness and SAD
I agree with this. Not many people have heard of it, and those that have probably don't understand it. It's just hard to understand for someone who hasn't had it. So I think of the few people that do know of us, most of them probably just think we're strange, like most other people with mental illnesses.

·
Cynical Idealist
1,339 Posts
Yeah, most people don't really know what SA is unless they or someone in their family has it and has been diagnosed with it. With my family in particular, the response has been, to paraphrase, "get over it." I have a feeling that's how a lot of other people would react to SA.

·
Registered
779 Posts
Probably as weird people that don't talk for some reason. Quiet, shy, timid, docile, awkward, weird, antisocial, snobby, stuck-up, cold, lazy, pushovers, nice, boring, afraid, depressed, loners, reserved, daydreamers, mysterious, intelligent, insightful, eager to please, kind, polite, gentle, short, lost in thought, angry, sad...

I'm sure there are many more ways social anxiety can be perceived those are just off the top of my head.

·
Registered
229 Posts
Probably as weird people that don't talk for some reason. Quiet, shy, timid, docile, awkward, weird, antisocial, snobby, stuck-up, cold, lazy, pushovers, nice, boring, afraid, depressed, loners, reserved, daydreamers, mysterious, intelligent, insightful, eager to please, kind, polite, gentle, short, lost in thought, angry, sad...

I'm sure there are many more ways social anxiety can be perceived those are just off the top of my head.
yea I've been described as a number of those by different people

·
J. Alfred Prufrock
479 Posts
Social Anxiety is the third most common mental disorder in the country (the U.S., and it's probably widespread in other places), and most people have never even heard about it...It's sad, really.

·
Registered
2,470 Posts

·
serious
340 Posts
Depends if you tell people you have it or not.
People see us individually however we choose / are able to present ourselves.
I developed a steel poker face during high school, and when I finally told my best friends and family 15 yrs after getting it, they said 'oh, I thought you were just a bit shy'.
As for us phobies in general, I think the world lumps us in with 'that mental illness crap' and tries to ignore us. I know I do sometimes, and I'm one of us.

·
Shred to shreds.
93 Posts
It really depends on the person. Some people find an interest in me while others avoid me. There are those who describe quiet people as 'reserved' but in a good way. They think that we are more mature than others. Then there are the ignorant types who just can't get over our silence and tells us to speak up. I've gotten quite a bit of those.

·
Registered
10,667 Posts
People at my church really mistaken my social anxiety as being stuck up and snobby which is absolutely not the case. It's really hard to tell whether someone has social anxiety or is a snobby person. I just really wish that people will understand who I really am but I doubt that would ever happen. -_-

·
Registered
1,788 Posts
Unambitious nobodys. Hermits that stay in all day and don't contribute anything to society. The kind of people no one wants to associate with

·
Registered
9 Posts
A bit boring, quiet, perhaps even snobby, not friendly, - well that's what my sisters have said of me when I asked them what they would think of me if we were never sisters but strangers - pretty blunt : ( . My friends on the other hand said cute, nice, and approachable - who do i trust? hmm...

·
SASsy
18,100 Posts
In mild cases, they probably just consider us "shy". In more severe cases, they probably think we're "a little off". And in the very severe cases they probably think we're loons, kooks, crazy, stupid, scary and want to avoid us at all costs.

I've been classified in all three categories.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts