Social Anxiety Support Forum banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
221 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
How do people socialize there? What do people talk about? What's all the excitement about?

I'm so pathetic I don't even know what kind of beer to order (suggestions on that will help as well, as I've never been much of a beer-drinker). And I would never even have more than one beer--am I missing out then on the whole point of meeting up with people at a bar?

·
Registered
1,314 Posts
The bar scene isn't for everyone. If you don't feel comfortable going, then just don't. But if it is something you want to do, I'd suggest maybe drinking a little before you go out, to take away the edge since going to a bar can produce a lot of anxiety.

As for what beer to order, just look at what they have there and order something basic, or if you want just look and see what other beer people are drinking and get that. And it can be pretty easy to socialize in a bar (well, for people without SA or if you are drunk). You can pretty much just start talking to people around you. Most people won't mind since a bar is just like a big social party.

·
Registered
2 Posts
But how do you explain it to your friends who are annoyed that you never hang out with them? The bar scene isn't for me either and it's awkward for me, but it seems that that is all my friends do when they go out.

·
Registered
221 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thanks guys...

I don't really like the idea of drinking before I get there. As I said before, I'm really not much of a drinker in the first place, and I certainly don't intend to get drunk. So am I missing the whole point (if I'm only drinking, say, 1 beer)?

r0se16: could you perhaps suggest fun/interesting activities other than the bars? Sometimes people just won't "get it" by you explaining to them, although I think some of them would if you said it just as you wrote it here.

·
Registered
2,347 Posts
a bar or pub most commonly is short for public drinking house. It's a place where people congregate to talk, dance, drink and enjoy the company of others. Most people that go to a pub enjoy these activities, if you feel that you might not perhaps give it a go anyway! It's not for everyone and if you find you don't enjoy it then wait awhile before trying again! It's cool there are other ways to have fun! ^___^

How do people socialize there? if they go with friends then they may spend the majority of their night catching up with them but if a stranger talks to them or one of them then cool. This is the great thing about alcohol, it's the social lubricant, but you want to be careful too little and you might not have the courage to talk to anyone and too much and you will find it hard to talk or end up coming across as an annoying idiotic blabbering drunk.

What do people talk about? there are no rules here, you can talk about anything.. it's good to start with an introduction and then formalities then find out what they are interested in, from there you can ask them about it or if you have the same interests talk about them! But basically anything but if you find they don't seem interested then try a different topic or move on!

What's all the excitement about? what excitement? The dancing? some people like to dance some like to just sit back and soak up the atmos. it's up to you what you get from it, if anything.

I'm so pathetic I don't even know what kind of beer to order. Most places have tap beer, you'll see these handles along certain parts of the bar and they'll have the name of the beer on them, start with these, experiment. Try one and then try another find a beer or few that you like and remember them in case you ever go out again! And/or if you are with someone ask them to make a suggestion or even the bar tender "which tap beer do you recommend?", simple. But note alcohol can be deceiving and the effects can come on slowly and unnoticeable until BOOM next thing you know you go to stand up and feel all wobbly and realise you need to switch to water for awhile. Don't underestimate it! xP

·
Registered
185 Posts
If you dunno what to order, just say" gimme the strongest shot you got" lol...
and if they give you choices pick the second one haha

·
Registered
292 Posts
The bar can be fun, I try and go with friends. Sadly the one who I mainly go with has "no money" or just can't be bothered. When I do go with people, I actually drink and sit, stand or walk, just to see who is possibly checking me out, or complimenting me so then I feel better about myself.

·
Banned
3,285 Posts
I avoid bars, I do goto dance clubs, but mostly gothic/industrial cause there's no judgemental people there or it's more relaxed in terms of not feeling awkward. You'll feel better yourself when you see 60 year old grandpa in bondage gear and nipple clamps on walking around.

I mostly dance, and drink, I rarely talk to anyone unless they comment me on my dancing or find me interesting to want to initiate a conversation.

1,495 Posts
I love going to bars with friends, having a drink or two and just dancing like mad. You don't need to get absolutely smashed to have fun. It's also a good place to meet people, if you're not feeling too confident, don't worry the chics/guys will be too smashed to see through the beer goggles ;)

If you dunno what to order, just say" gimme the strongest shot you got" lol...
and if they give you choices pick the second one haha

Try the Yagerbombs!!!

1 - 11 of 11 Posts