Social Anxiety Support Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
3,148 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm just curious how someone goes on disability pay so they don't have to work anymore because of SA?

My SA seems to have been consistantly worse as the years go by. I'm worried that at some point in the future I may become unemployable for the most part. As of right now the phone gives me an instant panic attack and I can't deal with it. There aren't many jobs out there were you don't have to use a phone or deal with people in some way.

·
Registered
591 Posts
Not in California because there ARE jobs out there where you do not have to physically come in contact with people OR talk to them on the phone. Some examples of jobs are: getting a newspaper route, being a paper filer/ organizer for an attorney, working in shipping at UPS, being a mail delivery driver, doing data entry for some sort of firm... there a bunch of other jobs too.
You might need to just find the right combo of meds and start working on CBT.

·
Registered
14,599 Posts
I have no idea. I know there are a few people around here that get benefits but I have always had a job. Somedays I wonder how I do it. :fall

·
Registered
199 Posts
Do you REALLY want to go on disability? Wouldn't you rather take your imagined, delusional, fake, phony, views of other people and show yourself the truth? If you go on disability what are you going to do with your life? Maybe you have a plan on how you are going to contribute but I wouldn't like it if you wasted your talents and died without making your mark on this world. You need to fight this crap (SA) through CBT and you need to work at it thoroughly and consistently. Please, don't let this beat you.

·
:/
957 Posts
TeenyBeany most of those jobs you listed still involve being around people. For instance, working on a newspaper route involves going outside and being around others on the road, assuming one can even drive/ride a bike at all. Also, some people have extreme levels of anxiety about their work and how it is going to be judged. They also might be very depressed, have low self-esteem/self-confidence, and difficulty concentrating. For some, it's not simply choosing a job that has less social interaction.

Now I'm going to address people who seem to be against the thought of others going on disability. I'm not suggesting that it has even occurred in this thread. This isn't meant to be addressed to any one person in particular either. Over the years I've seen these threads come up and felt inclined to address it.

At one point, some have gone out everyday with this belief that one day things would improve. They never felt any better. Just going to the store might be difficult for them. It's not because they aren't committed to improving. I hate when their effort level comes in to question because their mental health doesn't improve.

Putting yourself through agony and pain doesn't necessarily mean it is a good thing. I'm not talking about having some difficult moments at work. I'm talking about the complete time they are coming/leaving work and at work they are in full blown anxiety and in PAIN. It only lets up for them when they get home. They are so tired they can only sleep to then wake up for another 'great' day at work. For those that can go to work and are able to cope, that is amazing.

Some have tried 10+ medicines with little luck and they can be very expensive. If people can't work because of their illness, then they can't afford meds or CBT to improve.

Maybe you think disability is for people giving up, but for some it is a method of survival. A way to have a roof over their head and to be able to eat. Also, with disability I believe you can get medicaid and then be able to afford a doctor to help you.

·
Banned
38,431 Posts
I'm skeptical of the US government's willingness or ability to provide disability funding for anxiety patients...
Disability claims for mental illness are a challenge because it's literally "all in your head" and there are no objective measures, so basically all such claims are denied and have to be appealed. When it comes to a disability like blindness or being unable to walk because both your legs are cut off, well, that's blatantly obvious and impossible to seriously argue. When it come to mental illness that's not so outwardly obvious. You can see if someone lacks a limb; you can't see inside their mind which makes proving a mental problem much harder.

·
Registered
207 Posts
What makes you forget about SA?

Where do you go?
Who do you hang with?
What activities are you good at that you don't feel symptoms?

Sometimes its as easy as sticking with that. I think everyone has a certain amount of SA, I can only speak for myself but I feel like sometimes beating SA is a matter of keeping yourself busy to keep from the obsessiveness.

·
Equilibrian Epicurius
1,028 Posts
I reside in the US and have applied for social security disability recently so that I could maybe have an income for the couple months it would be before I applied for a job. The psychiatrist examination showed I didn't have typical DSM social anxiety so I was denied, even though I'm clearly disabled. I also mentioned that I was never officially diagnosed with social phobia even though my psychiatrist and I both know I have it.

So if you apply:
-Look up the standard symptoms of social anxiety on Wikipedia and tell them that's what you're suffering from.
-If you currently see or have seen a psychiatrist in the past, tell them that they have in fact diagnosed you with social anxiety disorder.

·
Equilibrian Epicurius
1,028 Posts
Surviving off government checks is as much problem solving as taking medications.
What works for you doesn't always work for everyone. If psychotherapy cured all cases of SA, this site wouldn't have over 20,000 members. Also, medication has changed the lives of many people so it must be at least problem-solving as CBT for the majority.

I'm sure you know you can't just be financially dependent on your parents or somebody else your entire life. So how does SAD sufferers receiving a paycheck because they're truly incapacitated mean they just won't ever be motivated enough to apply for a job again? I would rather have a job and am working on it right now, but I deserve money to live off of as I continue to make progress.

·
Registered
591 Posts
Putting yourself through agony and pain doesn't necessarily mean it is a good thing. I'm not talking about having some difficult moments at work. I'm talking about the complete time they are coming/leaving work and at work they are in full blown anxiety and in PAIN. It only lets up for them when they get home. They are so tired they can only sleep to then wake up for another 'great' day at work. For those that can go to work and are able to cope, that is amazing.

Some have tried 10+ medicines with little luck and they can be very expensive. If people can't work because of their illness, then they can't afford meds or CBT to improve.
Practice makes better. Little steps are better than no steps. It's been proven that staying in (with SA) only causes one to become more agoraphobic.

There are many state programs that have insurance for low income. It's better to work part-time (even if it's only ONE day a week) then to give up on working at all.

I'm sorry, i'm just another tax payer trying to defeat SA and I would hate to have my tax dollars going to someone that is ready to give up. I've thought about going on disability, but thanks to the encouragement that I have found through both my family and this site, I have worked myself back into a full time job.

·
Equilibrian Epicurius
1,028 Posts
Practice makes better. Little steps are better than no steps. It's been proven that staying in (with SA) only causes one to become more agoraphobic.

There are many state programs that have insurance for low income. It's better to work part-time (even if it's only ONE day a week) then to give up on working at all.

I'm sorry, i'm just another tax payer trying to defeat SA and I would hate to have my tax dollars going to someone that is ready to give up. I've thought about going on disability, but thanks to the encouragement that I have found through both my family and this site, I have worked myself back into a full time job.
Exposure therapy doesn't work for everyone. Severe SA sufferers deserve your tax dollars much more than the thousands on disability who currently are milking the system.

·
Registered
85 Posts
I have not worked in years,and when I did a few times it was for a very short time.I jsut couldn't do it.I have always wondered the same thing becuase it is disabling.I don't really like to admit it but I need someone to take care of me,which I have always managed to find.I try not to think about it.I guess I didn't really answer your question,but if you have been working you are way ahead and you can fight your way through it.Eat right ,exersize,go outside.I notice that spending time outside helps me feel more balanced which make me feel more confident.Just treat your self nice and try everything you can before you surrender and deside to stay home.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts