Social Anxiety Support Forum banner
1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Myself
44 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I've been asking around for weeks to verify a statement a "Top Contributor" on Y!A made about obtaining free mental health medication in the US, but nobody will address the issue. How does one obtain medication in the first place? Will they be told what medication they should get? And what if they can't afford medication because they have no money which is probably the reason they're so depressed in the first place?

·
Registered
250 Posts
Most major pharmaceutical companies (Eli-Lilly, Astrazeneca, Pfizer, etc.) have patient assistance programs that help you to get the prescriptions you need for free or at a reduced cost. So if you need Prozac, for instance, you find out who makes it (google it--it's not hard to find), and then go directly to the pharmaceutical's website and you should find a link or something on the page about patient assistance programs. I know that Astrazeneca had a program called "Bridges to Access" or something like that, and I think the maker's of Prozac had a program called "Eli-Lilly Cares." Anyway, there's often a lot of paperwork and some require that you get a sponsor/advocate (a doctor, social worker, etc.) to fill out some of the forms. So, your first step of action would be to go see a doctor (you can find a low-income/sliding-scale clinic) and then when the doctor prescribes medications, find out who makes the meds, find the corresponding programs, print out the paperwork, and get someone to help you. The requirements for the programs vary; some require that you have no insurance, and almost all have income guidelines. The income guidelines are fairly liberal; a lot of low-middle income people without insurance qualify, so it's not like you have to be poverty level to get free medication. I was getting Seroquel for free for several months; all I had to show was my tax return and a couple paystubs. The clinic I went to mailed the paperwork and gave the rest to the doctor to fill out so all I had to do was fill out some easy forms and provide income verification. The process can be a pain and a hassle, but you only have to do it once a year, so it's not too bad.

1 - 2 of 2 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.