Social Anxiety Support Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
319 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My pdoc told me you don't become tolerant to neurontin....i think hes full of ****. I took it for two weeks straight and it definitely doesn't work the way it did when i started. He also claims that neurontin takes time to work because it has to accumulate in your bloodstream. Isn't he confusing it with SSRIs? I'm not listening to him anymore and i'm taking a tolerance break.

·
Registered
881 Posts
My pdoc told me you don't become tolerant to neurontin....i think hes full of ****. I took it for two weeks straight and it definitely doesn't work the way it did when i started. He also claims that neurontin takes time to work because it has to accumulate in your bloodstream. Isn't he confusing it with SSRIs? I'm not listening to him anymore and i'm taking a tolerance break.
Ask him for a higher dose! you can go up to like 1800 mg a day....yeah in the couple days i took it, the effects would last for about 4 hours....after a couple days, i got absolutely nothing at all from it. its funny, the pills look like sugar, and if i remember, the white powder inside tastes like sugar (correct me if im wrong). but the couple times it did work, it was really pretty cool and stuff. i wasnt anxious at all....i was only taking 100mg tho.....ive got lots left but im too scared it will make me feel werid or something.

·
Ninja
4,233 Posts
I'm prescribed Neurontin and that's my experience too. I build up tolerance to it very quickly. When I take it after I've not had any for a while I can definitely feel the effect. But within a couple weeks or so it's like I've become completely tolerant to it and it can feel like just a sugar pill.

Though when it works, it works pretty well. I find it differs from benzodiazepines in that it not only reduces anxiety, but it also has kind of an inhibiting effect, which makes me more talkative and willing to socialize.

It does take a long time to work, but I'm not talking days or weeks like with SSRIs. For me it usually kicks in after about 3 hours after I've taken it.

·
Registered
47 Posts
I take generic Neurontin (gabapentin). It helps me calm down, and even though I've been taking it for several months now, it does make a difference. I don't believe it's habit forming.

·
Yes
1,760 Posts
I asked about it once, and both my pdoc and the student and her said also said it's not addictive, although I suspect now they were speaking strictly in literal terms (psychologically reinforcing). By most reports it seems that people do build tolerance to it, but that might just be the person adapting to it psychologically rather than physically.

Maybe a good way to look at it would be in any withdrawal effects it may have. Dependence and tolerance are two sides to the same coin.

Strangely enough, my pdoc dismissed neurontin/lyrica on the grounds that she didn't think I, a 220lb guy, would be able handle it, despite the fact that I was on a max dose of a tricyclic at the time with NO complaints, and rarely do complain about side effects. I don't quite know her reasoning, but I think it has something to do with me VERY firmly refusing to continue taking Effexor and the anti-psychotics.

Though I mentioned in passing one time that the sleep medication I take makes me hallucinate every single night and she was going to take me off of it until I explained that it wasn't bothering me. Apparently she thinks it should be really distressing or something because on each of the subsequent 5 visits, she always made sure to ask me if the hallucinations were a problem.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts