Social Anxiety Support Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
1,141 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I wish they would abolish the physical hand of peace at mass, for all reasons.
In particular when I see poeple struggling to blow their noses.

Today, I was as determined to stay clear of a teenager bent on popping his zits.
How do you get around this, it is causing me a deal of fear. Ideally I would like to say you hygiene and consideration is um, nil. So I won't give the peace handshake, but here have my wave of peace;)

It does upset me, to the point of some anger. Does god understand? Sometimes it's better not knowing or seeing people's lack of basic hygiene
I thing if I saw all, I maybe shocked.
It's getting to the point where I just don't want to sit near people, nearly every time I see reasons I dontwant to share the handshake, it wouldn't bother me that much if I didn't receive the body of Christ shortly after.
I don't want to poke my tongue out at the priest either to receive the body of Christ, so I'm in a situation.
I just may decline and lie and say I have a virus.
I did some time ago have a small bottle of anti bac lotion, but poeple were giving me strange looks,
This isn't OCD by a long shot, I just see peeps with lack of care,then they want to share the peace handshake.

·
Credible Hulk
1,775 Posts
Is the 'hand of peace' the introductory part of the service where everyone shakes hands? If so, I never knew that had a name. Whatever the case, you're not alone. I hate shaking peoples' hands at church. I can't imagine how awful it would be to go to one of those churches where everyone hugs one another. My territorial bubble is quivering just thinking about it.

·
Registered
154,235 Posts
I would use the antibaterial lotion before going in.
Really it's not the big of a thing - you can't catch much of anything from that kid. Most viruses die within seconds since they get cold. Bacteria isn't much either - you probably get more from handling money.

You can't really judge that this kid has no hygiene. He may even be self-conscious about his acne. I know I was. He may be afraid of germs, too.

If it bothers you, do the handshake then head to the restroom. You should not let a handshake prevent you from meeting people - which is most likely what the fear is about, manifesting through germs.

Classic SA - scary thoughts distracting us from things we are afraid to face - sometimes the covering fear has little to do with the actual fear!

·
Registered
2,996 Posts
I'm sure God understands. If it put your mind at rest I promise you I'd lick those spotty teenagers hands in turn if I were there to prove they were fine to touch. I used to do that when my sister felt her OCD flare up, I mean lick whatever it was to prove it was fine.

·
Registered
24 Posts
Where I am, the sign of peace during flu season is not physical. There is some sort short of song and people smile and nod at each other. (Admittedly, I do not go often)

I'm not sure if the actual touching of hands is a required part of mass, and I would ask the priest if he would consider doing an alternative. :)

1 - 5 of 5 Posts