Social Anxiety Support Forum banner
1 - 20 of 32 Posts

·
Noona
3,492 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My mother knows I am shy and antisocial lately, but she doesn't know that I have SA, and I'm not sure she knows it exists. If she did know about the facts of the disorder, I know that she'd be supportive. My dad knows I am shy, but doesn't believe in psychiatric diagnoses. How do your parents feel about your SA and do you talk to them about it? Do they help you through??

·
Registered
8 Posts
My mother suffered from a mild form of SA herself and when I was diagnosed she was my rock. She was one of only two people I could talk to about anything and know she wouldn't judge me. Her death in 2006 nearly ruined my recovery and set me back a lot but somehow I pulled through. My father on the other hand thinks that I'm making it all up and constantly tells me to 'snap out of it'. He once threatend to have me committed because I was too scared to go to the park with a friend.

·
Noona
3,492 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
My mother suffered from a mild form of SA herself and when I was diagnosed she was my rock. She was one of only two people I could talk to about anything and know she wouldn't judge me. Her death in 2006 nearly ruined my recovery and set me back a lot but somehow I pulled through. My father on the other hand thinks that I'm making it all up and constantly tells me to 'snap out of it'. He once threatend to have me committed because I was too scared to go to the park with a friend.
Awwww. I'm sorry about your mother. It seems like she really helped you get through things. :|

·
Registered
2,855 Posts
My dad told me to "get over it", my mom is mad at me for not taking the Effexor my doctor offered. :|

·
Registered
259 Posts
My dad doesn't understand, at all. My mom is shy, and has admitted to using alcohol to be social, but I don't think she's as bad as me. She saw me have a mild panic attack once and could not relate. So they both end up saying basically "try harder."

·
Registered
123 Posts
They think I'm just shy. They both know that I don't talk a lot, but they don't know that it's SA.

·
Registered
1,218 Posts
I told my dad I had SA about 2 years ago, now my whole family knows it since about a few weeks ago. But it feels a LOT better that they know because now I can be open about my feelings instead of trying to suppress them.

They took the initial step and made a doctors appointment for me. They ask me how my medication is and how it makes me feel, etc. They are very supportive.

·
Rest In Pepperinos
1,454 Posts
I told both my parents about my sa. I really don't know how they take it to be honest. cause sometimes they acknowledge i am shy but sometimes they don't. Especially my mom...all she says is..you need to go to church.or telling me about captivity and stuff..My dad in the other hand..I think he dont take it seriously. He just says you'll get fine...And im not even gonna mention my family..they are just ignorant and close minded people. Sucks

·
Registered
3,657 Posts
My mom knows I have s/a but she assumes I stay home all the time because i'm introverted, which is true, but it's actually far more complicated than that. My dads on another level, don't even think he realizes i'm home or that I have any social issues.

·
Gone
517 Posts
When I told my mom she was supportive and listening to me, but we haven't really talked about it since I first told her. She even said she'd find a therapist for me, but it never happened. My dad on the other hand argued with me about it and said I just need to 'get over it' and that I'm making it up. He doesn't really understand how serious it is, even though I never leave the house anymore. I probably won't bring it up anymore since it usually just leads to arguments and I feel stupid afterwards for even telling them.

·
Banned
2,799 Posts
Mine are pretty accepting. They both have it, though neither one was ever diagnosed. My mother was a schoolteacher, and every first day of the semester she'd barf due to the anxiety of seeing her co-workers. My father is an artist, and somewhat of a shut-in, and he has always had it too. So I'm just part of the socially-anxious family, seriously. Two cousins, two uncles, my grandfather on my mother's side, my step-grandma on my father's side...we could practically run our own support group lol.

·
Anthropophobia
290 Posts
My parents have known for four years. They're very understanding and supportive most of the time. They've always helped me get therapy and psychiatrists and medication when I wanted it. They sometimes don't understand that my social anxiety effects basically everything but overall they know it effects me greatly.

·
N.H.K victim.
52 Posts
My dad absolutely refuses to believe that SA exists. His logic is that if people didn't have it hundreds of years ago, then the people that have it today are liars or something. He just tells me that it's all in my head (No s***) and that I'm a p****. Whenever I try asking him for support --like setting up a doctors appointment-- he threatens me with physical violence or screams (yes, screams) at me.

I've tried asking him to let me attend an online highschool but, again, gets physical with me. He told me that no matter what I do, he won't allow me to do my studies online. Little does he know, however, I've been skipping every day of school since last year. It's that bad. He's setting me up for failure.

If my mom were still alive, I'm sure she would understand. She would definitely try to find me help... but now I'm stuck with an ignorant, close-minded family for the rest of my life.

I'm 15, by the way.

199 Posts
They don't know about my SA.
They just think I'm a little weird and support me anyway.

I like it that way :)

1 - 20 of 32 Posts