Social Anxiety Support Forum banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
45 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Do you seek the shy, reserved people in a crowd? Do you have a special rapport with such people or do they repulse you, because they remind you too much of yourself? Do you have like a SAdar that allows you to spot the little nuances in a person's behavior? Do you act differently around such people?

I've always looked for the shy person in a group of new people, especially if she was female :) I usually feel more confident around them and often I would be very talkative and active as opposed to my usual quiet and passive behavior. Maybe it's because I feel someone has to carry the conversation, otherwise it could be a very looooong silence (been there too...).
To be honest though this hasn't happened very often, me being the leader in a social situation.

·
Registered
122 Posts
I'm the same I find I am much more confident around quieter people and find I can lead the conversation. Sometimes I do think about how there life is like mine and does make me feel bad but I just try not to think about that.

Its funny I find it easier to talk to quiet people and really talkative people (who are often very self involved) because I feel more confident around the quiets and the talkative ones a quite happy to carry on a conversation with you where all you have to do is ask the occasional question so they have something to talk about. Its the ones in between that I have the trouble with the ones that expect you to make a fair contribution to the conversation.

·
Geese
20,768 Posts
I usually go for the more confident ones mainly to try and catch the "vibe" from them and maybe learn a thing or two about being more confident in social interactions. If it's a group or team for a project they are usually the ones who speak up when things are not going to plan instead of keeping quiet as well, certainly a plus.

I do kind of wish I could meet some really shy and potentially SA ridden people as well though because I feel I can help them out because my SA is quite specific and not too bad, but I can still relate to how they are feeling.

·
Registered
139 Posts
I've never met anyone else with SA. I'd be just as afraid to talk to them as anyone else, though.

·
Rock Kicker
22 Posts
i don't usually meet anyone with SA, but while you would think that I would be excited to try to reach out....nah. I sometimes have to make a conscious effort to remember that they probably aren't trying to be mean or disinterested---theyre just uncomfortable. Like me.

Other SA people make me uncomfortable, ironically.

·
Registered
227 Posts
i only met one person with social anxiety. in person it did not look like he had social anxiety but when i really looked at it some of his mannerisms showed it if i looked closely. im good at reading people. ive talked to him online about his sa so i know he has it.

some people are really good at hiding their social anxiety. i thnk i might be one of them. i mean to a person who probably doesnt know anything about social anxiety they might just seem me as a shy person

·
Registered
298 Posts
I don't know anyone with SA that I'm aware of. We probably are very unlikely to meet since they are highly unlikely to say hi to me and I'm very unlikely to ever say hi to them.

·
Registered
155 Posts
I've only met two other people with SA. One girl and I were oddly comfortable around each other and always talked to each other and worked on projects together in class. One guy I tried to talk to but his SA was so bad I just couldn't get him to talk or loosen up. I think he's the one person I've ever met that is quieter than me.

·
Registered
74 Posts
I always feel the need to take the lead of the situation... Therefore I am quite comfortable around shy people, because I feel I'm in control. I dont know, do I really know anyone with sa, this is a thing I dont dare to ask anyone.

·
Registered
834 Posts
I think it's lame that by having social anxiety you have to install a fake belief in yourself that you are only allowed to talk to people who are worse off than you...

not really the best way to go about conquering your anxiety.

·
Registered
371 Posts
I think my cousin may have SA.. But I don't know for sure.. He is really shy and sometimes I feel comfortable talking to him, and other times I find it kinda awkward.. Maybe he does remind me too much of myself...

·
Banned
877 Posts
Wow, I was thinking of posting this same exact topic. I've met at least 4 other people who are shy. I don't ask if they have SA though. I aim to make them feel comfortable and I have been successful. Many of us come out of our shells once we learn that others have something in common with us. Even if it means stepping out of our shells for a quick moment. The fact that we do it at all, is a great confidence boost.

·
SnotRocketTime
404 Posts
i'm always very courteous and calm around people that i perceive as shy. you can sense the shyness so i always go easy on them. i hate when i see a shy type in an awkward/embarrassing/nervous situation.. i always feel bad for them because i can relate.

·
Registered
155 Posts
i'm always very courteous and calm around people that i perceive as shy. you can sense the shyness so i always go easy on them. i hate when i see a shy type in an awkward/embarrassing/nervous situation.. i always feel bad for them because i can relate.
Yes I get "sympathy anxiety".:afr

·
Registered
1,388 Posts
After being considerably popular in my old school, i moved to another state and really moved down the list. the only people i feel comfortable around are the nerdy awkward kids. Contrary to my old school, it seems the more popular you are, the worse your grades are. Of course a range of kids have come up and tried to talk to me; too bad I have SA :mum

BTW SA is the 3rd most popular mental disorder in the world. 9% of people will face some sort of social anxiety some time in their life (not just 1 event, im talkin a period of time comparable to SA). Also, SA tends to ignore demographics. If you havent seen someone with SA, you're probably not looking hard enough

·
Registered
165 Posts
There's a girl in my class who I think has SA. She is basically my mirror. When someone is in her way, she pretends to be doing something else instead of asking them to move. When spoken to she reverts to that slow, shy talk that i know too wel. She gets all awkward under attention and doesn't really talk, but when she thinks no one's looking (yeah, im a creep like that), you can see that she has "attitude" in the way that she carries herself. I am both happy and sad to see another (suspected) SA suffereer in my class. Other than her, I don't know anyone with it. I would never ask ehr.

·
Shift Happens
454 Posts
i am very respectful to others who have sa. I find i might have to lead a conversation or some days take the back seat and let others talk. Usually they are very nice and friendly people so i have no problems at all.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts