Social Anxiety Support Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
619 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Unfortunately, not a rhetorical question. I'm starting college next year, and the one friend I have is moving 2,000 miles away. I've never even had a date, and since I'm commuting instead of living on campus, I'm worried I'll never have relationships, romantic or platonic. As pathetic as it may seem, I feel like it's been so long since I've had to initiate any kind of friendship that I don't remember how to:|

·
Registered
433 Posts
I'm sorry that I can't give you any advice myself, but I want to say that's an excellent idea to think about this before starting college. I've gone through most of my college life without really making any real social connections and it hurts. I just hope you don't go down the same path I did.

·
socially disabled
276 Posts
find a meet up near you! that way ull meet new people that have the same problems and will understand u...

·
planning relocation
714 Posts
maybe check some bulletin boards around campus with student activities, look into some of those and meet people that way

·
Registered
449 Posts
live on campus if at all possible. im commuting now....i talk to no one, even in classes. i get there with about 10 min to spare, and park as close to the classes as i can, so i barely even come into contact with anyone else. Of those in my class...i dunno, i dont really see anybody interacting with eachother at all, except for the ones who already know eachother.

·
In hiding
1,455 Posts
As pathetic as it may seem, I feel like it's been so long since I've had to initiate any kind of friendship that I don't remember how to
I completely get this. It sucks. One thing I've found is that just showing an interest in people and their activites can make people like you. Once you show an interest in them, they will often become interested in you as a person.

·
Registered
619 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Thanks for the advice and sympathies! I really don't feel like I'm ready to live on my own, and neither are my parents. By that, I mean my mother is in rapidly declining health, and I'm not sure how comfortable I would be leaving, as she depends on me for a lot. I don't know, I'll probably never feel ready. I'm definitely going to try to find a few clubs/activities to join to meet people, because most of my classes are huge lecture classes.

·
Registered
847 Posts
Join clubs, its something I wish I did and regret not doing, it maybe hard at first, but netowrking is very important, just force yourself.

·
Banned
38,431 Posts
Unfortunately, not a rhetorical question.
Even more unfortunate:

-it's not a rhetorical question to me either.

Even more unfortunate than that:

-I still haven't a clue as to how this is done & I'm 39! What will come first to me: death or learning this friend-making skill that even most small kids are infinitely superior at?

1 - 9 of 9 Posts