Social Anxiety Support Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
91 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I think my SA is causing me to have a *****y look on my face or demeanor in public...i have been told more than once that i just look stuck up until they get to know me.

do you keep a neautral face in public? or do you walk around smiling lol...i keep my face pretty neautral i guess which makes me look like a *****.

i dont know how to relax and im pretty uncomfortable it feels impossible to look friendly atleast.

·
Banned
133 Posts
I can relate. People at times have told me that I look "so serious." What I found is that as I worked on my anxiety and continued to reduce it through regular exercise, counseling, a small dose of medication, and talking to kind friends, is that my facial expressions changed on their own without my having to think about it to where they were more friendly and welcoming. The other thing I learned is that I understand how my face feels when I look serious like that, and when I tend to look serious and imposing and it's not a good time to look that way, I make a conscious effort to change my facial expressions. Like anything else, you can change it if you work at it :)

·
Registered
2,970 Posts
Keep your head up, don't frown, make random eye contact with strangers, if you're comfortable enough you could smile at some... :) That's all I can think of.

·
SAS Member
31,285 Posts
I usually have a neutral face, but I will look at people walking by and smile once in awhile. I think if I saw someone walking around with a smile on their face all the time I would wonder if their on something, lol.

·
taking a break from SAS
1,408 Posts
I think if I saw someone walking around with a smile on their face all the time I would wonder if their on something, lol.
ya if someone is smiling all the time, I would be reminded of the Joker and think they are plotting my death.
A little smile when talking w people is always good though. This is what I have noticed socially successful people do.

·
Registered
61 Posts
I have a fed up look on me most of the time, because that's my 'neutral' face. As a consequence I've grown up with people telling me to smile or cheer up, when actually I'm fine......really quite annoying! I can relate to the 'stuck up' thing that people think also, and I've learned through that if I come across someone I might think is 'stuck up' they might be exactly the same as me!
However when I'm feeling panicky I have a look of pure and utter horror on my face, those are the days when I try to keep my head down and avoid eye contact!
It's really difficult to put on an air of relaxation, if you're feeling the complete opposite, I try deep breathing and then try and squeeze a smile out. All you really need is one person to make a joke, and that can take the 'edge' of the panic a bit....as long as it's funny that is! :)

1 - 6 of 6 Posts