Social Anxiety Support Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
122 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Serious question, how do you know when it's time to drop out of college? I've messed up a lot since I transferred from community college to my current four year institution. Now my back's against the wall and I'll probably: A) Get a row of F's and receive a yearlong suspension only to return in late 2015 on academic probation, or B) be dismissed. I was given extensions to finish some work from the previous semester by the end of this month--but I've got nothing. Just zero motivation man.

When I was at CC, I was president of my school's honor society, had the best paying and hardest to get student job, and got rows of "A"s each semester. People loved me too.

I'd been home schooled all of my life because I had a lot of problems growing up. It was great to finally be finding myself at CC. It was my older brother who convinced me to resign from my presidency and quit my job to transfer to this college he'd found for me. It's prestigious and I even have a full ride, but I haven't been able to perform well. Academically, socially, and vocationally I'm a stick in the mud, surrounded by peers who are extremely high functioning.

I've completed 2 semesters but both were flukes. I've told so many lies to cover myself after each slip up. I took a semester off after the second semester and returned this spring. I haven't technically completed the third semester. I'm tired and kind of feeling like it's time to leave this... Thoughts?

·
Registered
122 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 · (Edited)
I know, I know, the full ride part is the only thing that makes me want to stick around even a little--forget the prestige. But I just hate this school and the people so much. The work is sort of above me too. I really didn't choose this school. Honestly I didn't even produce most of the application. I just sort of did what my brother told me to. Now I just don't have the life I had before. I never got to graduate from CC either--I transferred out after about a year. It was all really fast. The whole thing just makes me feel really, really sick.

And no I'm not studying anything that spectacular. Just f***ing English.

·
Doing my own thing
2,175 Posts
I know, I know, the full ride part is the only thing that makes me want to stick around even a little--forget the prestige. But I just hate this school and the people so much. The work is sort of above me too. I really didn't choose this school. Honestly I didn't even produce most of the application. I just sort of did what my brother told me to. Now I just don't have the life I had before. I never got to graduate from CC either--I transferred out after about a year. It was all really fast. The whole thing just makes me feel really, really sick.

And no I'm not studying anything that spectacular. Just f***ing English.
I would finish just for the full ride or you will regret it for the rest of your life.

·
Registered
1,217 Posts
Oh that sucks! Can you tell me more about it? What was so different? Are the people at your college now uptight? Is it harder being in a competitive environment?

·
Proud Honduran
802 Posts
I would say it is time to drop out of college only if you absolutely dislike it. And what I mean by that is, for example, I pretty much took a bunch of different types of classes in different subjects to see what I like. Well after three years of doing that I realized that maybe this isn't what I want. I'm now attending trade school in two months and I'm honestly happy.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts