Social Anxiety Support Forum banner

1 - 20 of 41 Posts

·
Registered
301 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I was just wondering if anyone here makes a daily effort to constantly keep up their self esteem? And if so, how do you do it?

I feel like I struggle having a good self esteem/self worth/self confidence sometimes. My SA is getting a lot better but I still have my bad days.

I personally watch a lot of motivational youtube videos and read inspirational quotes, but I was thinking of starting a positivity blog or something, where I compliment myself and talk about the positives or something.

Thoughts?

·
Athiest and Nihilist.
601 Posts
I don't have any self esteem, it's not without good reason though.

·
Registered
1,896 Posts
Having a good support network around you. I've met a lot of people I really enjoy talking to and just being around throughout my classes. Just knowing that makes me have something to look forward to, especially on bad days.

Overall though I do maintain a workout schedule. Keeping fit makes me feel better about myself and energized throughout the day. I'll also dress up whenever I can, not just for other people to see or react to, but because of how I feel about myself whenever I put together an outfit that looks nice and suits my body. I also just keep doing things that I personally enjoy. Watching sports, reading interesting articles or books, watching something new and finding something motivational.

·
자신을 사랑 해
1,420 Posts
I try to focus more on my strengths rather than my weaknesses. I also will give myself a break and try not to be too hard on myself if I spend an entire evening alone with a bottle of wine and a box of kleenex.

·
Registered
673 Posts
I avoid doing things that lower self-esteem such as talking/speaking (I hate my voice so much), being around people (their superiority bothers), looking in mirrors (I hate my appearance), taking IQ-tests or trying to solve math problems (I'm dumb). As long as I'm not reminded of all my shortcomings I can feel somewhat comfortable with myself.

·
Nyctophiliac
327 Posts
I spend time with people who make me feel like I'm worth something. It helps.

·
Banned
8,418 Posts
being appreciated

I can cheer myself up a bit but the real effect is when people see my value

I can make me cackle at myself randomly. It's better when others laugh too. It's the best reward
any TV event (common and widespread) when; people speak and get followed immediately giggling synchronously is deeply thin, indicating thorough gay immaturity. It makes me unstably violent.
That mirrors the colloquial, uneducated part of society.
Due punishment

Actually equivalent of people who overly feed themselves and get grossly bloated; ambiguous if they regret it or still appreciate it, 50:50 and proud

Looking at entertainers after typing the above: people get rewarded by making people happy, if they never attended school and couldn't cope with basic maths or grammar, who just open their mouths: aahhhhh!! playing with balls. making money. Stephen Hawking makes me happy. Those queen's awards or film ones I can't name: Beatles, etc by making a noise with a microphone or dancing. So the end result to the public. I can tolerate. I prefer people who do things with their hands and not vocal chords. Making chocolate or buildings. Quite amused how recession happens. Worldwide success or failure can't be affected by stupid politicians, or maybe. Leave the **** sapiens without becoming extinct, but omitting speech from the DNA. Cut the throats. Allow breathing and feeding. Hands-on world only.

OK. The post theme: intellect

·
Audacious romantic
4,496 Posts
Praise yourself for something good you have done/achieved etc.

·
Banned
8,418 Posts
Yep

Praise yourself for something good you have done/achieved etc.
but the world I'm part of: being eliminated. End results aimed at the requestors who can't see

Lack of appreciation is tolerable, but not allowed by speaking judgers

eg. if they had a pet albatross that's mighty and does everything right but the owner says it can't fly or groom itself

·
Registered
301 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Having a good support network around you. I've met a lot of people I really enjoy talking to and just being around throughout my classes. Just knowing that makes me have something to look forward to, especially on bad days.

Overall though I do maintain a workout schedule. Keeping fit makes me feel better about myself and energized throughout the day. I'll also dress up whenever I can, not just for other people to see or react to, but because of how I feel about myself whenever I put together an outfit that looks nice and suits my body. I also just keep doing things that I personally enjoy. Watching sports, reading interesting articles or books, watching something new and finding something motivational.
Unfortunately all my "friends" are pretty crap, constantly breaking plans, etc. but I liked the rest of this, seems like you have a good handle on it

·
Registered
301 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·

·
Registered
10,667 Posts
By working out regularly like walking and lifting weights. Also, taking a good nice shower. I don't do much to help with my self esteem.

·
Registered
29 Posts
HOverall though I do maintain a workout schedule. Keeping fit makes me feel better about myself and energized throughout the day. I'll also dress up whenever I can, not just for other people to see or react to, but because of how I feel about myself whenever I put together an outfit that looks nice and suits my body. I also just keep doing things that I personally enjoy. Watching sports, reading interesting articles or books, watching something new and finding something motivational.
Thanks vanishingpt, that is good advice which I personally needed to read right now.

·
Maybe?
2,598 Posts
I put a lot of work into developing skills.

I may not be able to interest anyone beyond making them laugh, solving their problems, or providing a sexual outlet, but I'm fantastic at my chosen pastimes. I can definitely see myself having the success that many crave in the future if I work hard enough and stay motivated.

Not that it keeps me warm at night, but it does even the score a little in my mind. I just like the idea of having things other people can't have, since I can't obtain what's in such abundance for others. No reason I can't still have nice things.

·
Banned
126 Posts
I was just wondering if anyone here makes a daily effort to constantly keep up their self esteem? And if so, how do you do it?
I used to have that problem. Everyday feeling desperate for someone to notice the worth of what I do. Ive never looked into the inspirational quotes or motivational pictures and so fourth, I never thought those messages had anything to do with my problems. If anything they made me feel more pathetic for needing such a thing.

Then I just stopped being fixated about it. I focused on doing what doing I needed to do, with a rather stoic outlook on the outcomes. If I needed to complete a homework assignment, I worked towards completing that assignment because that was what I needed to do, I could care less about whether the professor enjoys it or hates it, so long as I got the grade I needed. SA made me have all these unrealistic fantasies about how people would react to my actions, what I had to learn was how to shift my focus from expectations to the task at hand itself.

I avoid doing things that lower self-esteem such as talking/speaking (I hate my voice so much), being around people (their superiority bothers), looking in mirrors (I hate my appearance), taking IQ-tests or trying to solve math problems (I'm dumb). As long as I'm not reminded of all my shortcomings I can feel somewhat comfortable with myself.
This sounds more like a coping strategy than a solution.

·
Registered
301 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
I used to have that problem. Everyday feeling desperate for someone to notice the worth of what I do. Ive never looked into the inspirational quotes or motivational pictures and so fourth, I never thought those messages had anything to do with my problems. If anything they made me feel more pathetic for needing such a thing.

Then I just stopped being fixated about it. I focused on doing what doing I needed to do, with a rather stoic outlook on the outcomes. If I needed to complete a homework assignment, I worked towards completing that assignment because that was what I needed to do, I could care less about whether the professor enjoys it or hates it, so long as I got the grade I needed. SA made me have all these unrealistic fantasies about how people would react to my actions, what I had to learn was how to shift my focus from expectations to the task at hand itself.

This sounds more like a coping strategy than a solution.
Interesting, but I don't so much have tasks, or a problem with doing/completing tasks, I think more just life in general.

·
Registered
301 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
I put a lot of work into developing skills.

I may not be able to interest anyone beyond making them laugh, solving their problems, or providing a sexual outlet, but I'm fantastic at my chosen pastimes. I can definitely see myself having the success that many crave in the future if I work hard enough and stay motivated.

Not that it keeps me warm at night, but it does even the score a little in my mind. I just like the idea of having things other people can't have, since I can't obtain what's in such abundance for others. No reason I can't still have nice things.
Hmm, this actually sounds like a really good idea and something I'm going to try myself, thank you!

1 - 20 of 41 Posts