Social Anxiety Support Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
172 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My boyfriend likes going out to bonfire things(sort of like a party but outdoors I guess :p). I really don't know how to handle going out to things where I don't know many people and it's supposed to be fun and party like. How do you cope? Have any tips for someone that is incredibly awkward and literally panic's thinking about going to one of these things? and I mean other than alcohol hehehe :p

·
Banned
4,666 Posts
Well alc..oh, other than alcohol. lol

I need advice on this too. I have a really hard time with social events that are basically just people talking to each other.

I imagine it would probably be a bit easier because you know your bf, he can introduce you to people and pick up the conversation if you're being quiet, so you at least don't have to be worried about standing there alone.

·
Registered
190 Posts
I've been to parties before hate them too stressful.
I don't how people can go to parties,crowded bars,nightclubs
on a weekly basis

·
Registered
172 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Eh usually I'm standing alone at a party, he has his own friends and they talk about stuff I don't know about, it's a bit hard to talk about something you know nothing about :p. The problem with alcohol is last time I went to a party thing, I was mostly by myself so I just sat and drank alone which just made me super depressed and more introverted. Yay to the negative sides of drinking :p lol

·
Doing my own thing
2,175 Posts
Eh usually I'm standing alone at a party, he has his own friends and they talk about stuff I don't know about, it's a bit hard to talk about something you know nothing about :p. The problem with alcohol is last time I went to a party thing, I was mostly by myself so I just sat and drank alone which just made me super depressed and more introverted. Yay to the negative sides of drinking :p lol
Just tell your boyfriend its not your thing. Life is too short for doing **** you dont enjoy.

·
Tortured Artist Cliche
48 Posts
Guitar. I find a guitar and then be one of those people that just chill on the outer fringes of the designated partying zone. "I'm not anti-social, I'm just being chill and playing guitar."

·
Registered
14 Posts
If you're not going to be spending time with your boyfriend, then maybe it would be better to just not go at all. If I were in your place, I'd be clinging to him throughout the whole thing

·
Truckin'
132 Posts
Listen to what they talk about and learn about it... then you will eventually be able to talk about it. or ask a bunch of questions... Usually people don't mind answering a bombardment of questions about something they like, so it's not that wierd, and it gets you talking to the whole group.

next time, try clinging to your boyfriend anyways and drink with him. I'm sure it'll go better. but as others have said take it easy you don't wanna be that person who gets stupid drunk.

·
SoulSharp.com
34 Posts
First of all, I love your username. It is superb. Well done.

When it comes to the bonfire scene, I think there is a built-in comfort. It's quite a slow moving party. People are sitting around in the dark. It's perfectly normal to be quiet and simply stare into the flames or up at the stars. That's the foundation of the party anyway! Nobody will fault you for appreciating beauty.

I also wanted to echo part of what Saius said: questions are your best friends. But don't simply play off what other people are saying at the time. Come prepared with 5-10 party-game style, thought-provoking questions. Not only will that be fun, but it takes the pressure off as other people will want to talk on and on about their thoughts and ideas. Also, you look fascinating and in command because you keep bringing out these brilliant questions and the party rolls. You're pushing the buttons!

I'm talking "Which three books would you take on a desert island for the rest of your life?" "What is your most embarrassing possession?"

Collect cool questions. They're never out of style. They're good in every social situation. They're interesting, thoughtful, and engaging. Everyone loves them, and everyone loves the person who asks.

·
Registered
172 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Penn Thank you I worked hard on the username :p I try questions I have the unfortunate misgivings of being one of those people that when I don't feel wanted somewhere I shut down immediately(That's a completely different issue though:p). I will try getting a hold of some questions, however the one problem I have with doing question type things is the lead in, when there is no lead in to asking those kinds of questions I feel like I am making things more awkward haha :p Any advice on how to smoothly introduce questions?

1 - 15 of 15 Posts