Social Anxiety Support Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
3,148 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
It seems that almost half of all job ads I see online are now asking for either my salary history and/or my requirements.

I'm not always sure how to approach this because I feel like by revealing that information it puts me at a disadvantage. If I throw out a number that is below what they were willing to pay, then they're going to low ball me. If I refuse to include that information upon applying, then they most likely will disqualify me from consideration. It seems like a lose-lose situation for the job seeker.

·
Viva La Raza!
34,841 Posts
its been awhile since ive filled out an application but i dont think ive seen one like this. i guess i would just go online and see what the median pay is for my position and put that down.

edit: on second thought, i would be honest and put down what i actually get paid. unless i really hate my current job and want to leave then i would put the median but if im looking for another job just to get a better pay i would put down what i make now

·
Registered
3,148 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
If they ask me about salary, I ask them "How much do you have budgeted for the position?"
I should clarify that this is when submitting a resume online via a job search website. At that stage there is no opportunity to ask them any questions.

·
Registered
298 Posts
I should clarify that this is when submitting a resume online via a job search website. At that stage there is no opportunity to ask them any questions.
Aim high. If you aim too low, they will think you don't think highly of yourself.

·
Sassy
2,222 Posts
I've applied to several jobs that said they won't even consider your application if you don't include a salary requirement. So if they ask for one, put one. I've read on several sites that you should put a range, Ex.: $30,000-$35,000. So that's what I did.

·
Registered
95 Posts
I've applied to several jobs that said they won't even consider your application if you don't include a salary requirement. So if they ask for one, put one. I've read on several sites that you should put a range, Ex.: $30,000-$35,000. So that's what I did.
Me too. I always put a range. The whole question makes me uncomfortable. I'm so desperate right now, I'll take anything, but I don't want them to know that!

·
Registered
38 Posts
It seems that almost half of all job ads I see online are now asking for either my salary history and/or my requirements.

I'm not always sure how to approach this because I feel like by revealing that information it puts me at a disadvantage. If I throw out a number that is below what they were willing to pay, then they're going to low ball me. If I refuse to include that information upon applying, then they most likely will disqualify me from consideration. It seems like a lose-lose situation for the job seeker.
Hi, you can say, according to your company rules is ok :clap:boogie:yes:D

·
Registered
3,211 Posts
I've always thought it a bit strange that a company should even ask what you expect to be paid, if they're going to deal with you honestly. I'd want any company I worked for to be upfront about how much they'd pay me and be prepared to pay me in line with my qualifications and experience. So surely they'd know this already. If they're asking this question, I'd be wondering whether they're actually paying all their employees, men and women, fairly and equally. Do they pursue a policy of equal work for equal pay, or do those who negotiate harder get a better deal?

If you give them a range, I wouldn't pitch it any lower than your current salary.

·
gone
5,224 Posts
On the very few applications I've seen that, I always just left it blank.

One time I handed the completed form in, and the woman took a look at it and said "You left the salary expectation blank." "Yep, you're right" I answered. She said "We'd prefer you to fill something in." So I got the pen back and scribbled in a happy face.

Damn jokers never called me back...

1 - 12 of 12 Posts