Social Anxiety Support Forum banner

21 - 28 of 28 Posts

·
Banned
160 Posts
I was on an art website last night and simply pointed out something that I noticed about an artist's work. What I thought was a simply observation had turned into a bunch of people getting mad at me. After much responding, the issue was solved.

It feels good to have the misunderstanding settled but the thought of people being able to reread the argument over and over just has me on constant watch at the art website. I just want to see if anybody else is going to respond to my comment again despite the issue being over. I also feel a bit worried about going to that artist's page again.

I guess this feeling could be compared to how much I worry when I get involved in some argument in class where a lot of people stop what they are doing to either participate or just listen. It makes me wonder what people think of me after the argument and I feel worried about coming to class again.

So has anybody been in a situation like this before?
Yes, I'd recently been in a similar, first-time argument over the internet where it was several against me. They were not looking at my situation as I saw it because they knew nothing about me in the first place. Even when I apologized for my rude comments back to them, they continued to focus on the arguing instead of helping me.

It's good to stand up for yourself. As long as you know it's something you believe in and have no qualms about backing, you shouldn't be worried about feeling ashamed. If your comment came off as offensive, clear up any misunderstanding. If they can't accept that and want to hold a grudge, then leave it at that. It's not worth anymore stress. You did your best.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #23 ·
I'm fine now. I think the issue was the feeling that I sometimes feel from getting into an argument. I haven't been ganged up on in a long time.

Yes, I'd recently been in a similar, first-time argument over the internet where it was several against me. They were not looking at my situation as I saw it because they knew nothing about me in the first place. Even when I apologized for my rude comments back to them, they continued to focus on the arguing instead of helping me.

It's good to stand up for yourself.
As long as you know it's something you believe in and have no qualms about backing, you shouldn't be worried about feeling ashamed. If your comment came off as offensive, clear up any misunderstanding. If they can't accept that and want to hold a grudge, then leave it at that. It's not worth anymore stress. You did your best.
Thank you. I found that the thread owner was far more important to talk to than the regulars. What was an anxious moment turned into a good feeling becuase I don't feel worried about the whole argument anymore.

·
Registered
240 Posts
I've been in that situation a few times. I argue, then I forget it, usually.
While dunky says to 'get over it', some people only communicate with others on the internet or they just tend to think of the people behind the words as... people, so it might mean a bit more to them than it might to you.
Anyway, I find when you criticize someone's work, on the internet, at least, they seem to almost always have some following. And if one gets wind that someone doesn't like the art, a bunch of people run to defend that artist and their work, even if it's not good. Be proud that you responded, a lot of people don't have the courage to respond to their opinions.

Now, me, it depends on the argument and if I really feel it's worth it. If it's something about if a Jonas brother looks good or something(this actually happened on youtube), I'll say my opinion and ignore all the 12 year old kids who think I'm 'crazy' because I don't agree. No offense to people who think the Jonas brothers look good and who aren't 12. That type of argument doesn't mean much to me, in fact, I'll think it's hilarious that someone would argue with me about it.
THe Jonas Bros are my fav band of liek all time, wth r u dissing em like that? You have no taste in muzic at all :b

·
3rd SAS Battalion
886 Posts
I have found using chat rooms IMPOSSIBLE. I always annoy people and they annoy me. Forums on the other hand I find I am able to communicate with.

·
Registered
6,380 Posts
What I usually do is attempt to remain calm and make sensible arguments. If things get out of hand, I usually simply stop responding before it gets really crazy. Unfortunately, you can't smash someone in the face with a cast iron frying pan over the internet or I'd probably be in jail somewhere. :teeth
Unfortunately?? :lol

21 - 28 of 28 Posts