Social Anxiety Support Forum banner
1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
450 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm starting to dread weekends a little bit. I used to be the type of person who loved being alone and wouldnt mind a weekend spent completely by myself. Now I dread it. My social circle basically had to be restarted as my old friends moved away or on my best friends case, I had to leave him behind because he was becoming very creepy.

If there is a meetup for the one meetup group I go to, I'll do that. Maybe once every few months my old dnd group will do something, and about every other week someone from my current friendgroup will suggest something. Sometimes I'll spend half the day with my bf if we were hanging out the night before before he either goes to work or goes home. He will definitely spend the day together if one of us made a fun plan for something for us to do, but he works weekends so it doesn't happen much. He used to be the one that initiates more too, but now it's me. Fair, I have to do my part.

It's a lonely existence. I try to make plans with one of my girl friends but she always flakes. With my boyfriend I better hope he doesn't have work if I want to do something or we have something planned beforehand because he is not spontaneous. So I mostly rely on meetups. There's probably a few local friends I could plan stuff with, mostly guys. I really just want some good solid girl friends to do things with

Although you can always do things alone. If I am alone for the weekend, I'll usually ride my bike, paint, play video games, and do chores. I keep thinking of doing a solo hike one day but my car now is at the end of its life and I'm between cars.

What do you all do?

·
Super Moderator
9,814 Posts
Nowadays, it is usually just errands, hiking, look up food places to try to get lunch/dinner takeout.

Back when I have sort of a social life, I use to hang out with friends about once a month or so. Eventually I drift apart with most of them. After a few years of reclusion I started trying some meetup groups, but I was never comfortable with them. So all of them were one-offs for me. I ended up getting good with one meetup group and I got to meeting with them monthly for about 2 years before I drifted apart with that group as well after a lot of them drift apart. So the group became just down to a few. Eventually they stopped inviting me.

Now I am pretty much back to social reclusion, but I've been much more content with it now then I was back then.

Reactions: Rundleton

·
Barbells and kittens
4,388 Posts
Usually need one of the days to sleep in and then lie around on the couch all day to recover from the week. Then a day to do grocery shopping, chores, and prep for the next week. Whatever is left I'll play video games and watch TV. Usually try to go visit my mom at least every other weekend too.

My wife and I go to car shows too when we can. The problem is most are early in the day and I work nights, so we have to find ones that are later in the day.

My work schedule is kind of brutal right now with how understaffed we are. So my weekends are mostly just about recovering enough to make it through another week at this point.

·
Registered
450 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Nowadays, it is usually just errands, hiking, look up food places to try to get lunch/dinner takeout.

Back when I have sort of a social life, I use to hang out with friends about once a month or so. Eventually I drift apart with most of them. After a few years of reclusion I started trying some meetup groups, but I was never comfortable with them. So all of them were one-offs for me. I ended up getting good with one meetup group and I got to meeting with them monthly for about 2 years before I drifted apart with that group as well after a lot of them drift apart. So the group became just down to a few. Eventually they stopped inviting me.

Now I am pretty much back to social reclusion, but I've been much more content with it now then I was back then.
Hiking sounds really fun and if I had a car back, I would certainly try some spots. Maybe invite my friends or my bf... I really should've done that but you can't change the past.

Sometimes I think I don't even have social anxiety. I'm just socially inept. Especially around other women. With guys it's not bad but I tend to weird women out a lot. Don't know why, I just get the hint when they walk away (sometimes mid conversation too)

·
Banned
Goofy
110 Posts
Hiking sounds really fun and if I had a car back, I would certainly try some spots. Maybe invite my friends or my bf... I really should've done that but you can't change the past.

Sometimes I think I don't even have social anxiety. I'm just socially inept. Especially around other women. With guys it's not bad but I tend to weird women out a lot. Don't know why, I just get the hint when they walk away (sometimes mid conversation too)
you got any brothers or sisters? I ask cuz I have a brother and I find I'm much more comfortable around guys and am curious if maybe there's a correlation

·
Registered
450 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
you got any brothers or sisters? I ask cuz I have a brother and I find I'm much more comfortable around guys and am curious if maybe there's a correlation
Yes, I have 2 younger brothers and no sisters. That's an interesting theory. However my closest childhood friend was a girl, and if I didn't move away from my home state id still have a female best friend (we are still friends but we are not as close now due to the distance). It could be though, growing up I played a lot of GameCube and I played COD with my brothers, also did a good amount of hiking and biking. Could've made me more of the tomboy I am.

Idk if it's a lack of comfort although it could be a subconscious thing where they sense I'm not as comfortable around them and find me weird. I'm very visibly neurodivergent and I think nerdy people are way more accepting of that, and most nerdy people are guys

·
(.*?)
7,016 Posts
Usually weekends are the only time I speak all week, thanks to my hiking meetup group. That seems to be dying out now though along with all of Meetup, so could be back to months between words soon.

If I worked with people during the week or had a significant other or family around, or a pet, I might just want to sit at home and relax on the weekend. Nothing wrong with that if you're not completely isolated.

·
Registered
4,648 Posts
Weekends are for resting :)
After breakfast I usually take a wonderful nap, and then when I get up I watch TV. Saturdays I do laundry. Ideally i fold wendsdays laundry on Sundays, but nah.. that ain’t happening until I have a large mountain of clean laundry. I may spend some time on my hobby during the weekend, and catch up on my YouTube subscriptions. Sometimes I have another nap after dinner, and some times I make complex dinners that take up more time.

·
Registered
17,993 Posts
I often get a car and go up to visit my wife. When I lived there I just took that area for granted - but like anything else you only really appreciate it when it's gone. My son says the same thing - he lives in a high-rise in the city now and always comments on how lovely it is when he goes back there.

After I visit I often sit for a while down in the local square in the sunshine. It's beautiful - very safe and clean. I enjoy just watching the kids play or other people just doing weekend stuff. Very relaxing.

·
Karmically Cryptic
Wonder
2,696 Posts
Right now when everyone is busy for the holiday...hopefully it's not as hot today so I can go for a couple of walks. Watch something on amazon. Go to the store and get lunch. I don't know what else. I usually take a drive but I don't want to spend too much money on gas right now.

·
Registered
1,221 Posts
get drunk preferably

Reactions: Rundleton

·
SASsy
18,380 Posts
During football season it's football all weekend. I'll go to the mall but it's usually packed on weekends. Maybe do some grocery shopping. Go to the library. Chores. Take a nap if I'm tired.

·
Super Moderator
9,814 Posts

Hiking sure is nice. It's cheap, it's simple and straight forward without much skill involved (not much worry if I am not good at it..) to keep you occupied which helps a lot with SA in socializing, being outdoors which is great for mental health as a whole. You certainly do need a reliable car though. I stopped when I no longer trust my own car to drive up to mountains or hilly areas. I only started again recently when I have a newer loaner car most weekends. Definitely better to have your bf accompany you though in a safety standpoint.

Yup, I can relate to that a lot also.

·
Registered
18 Posts
Typically, I will play Call of Duty with my friends, visit the parents and/or my brother and his family, have friends over make electronic music, play video games solo, try not to think about dying alone, go running (sidelined from my marathon training at the moment due to an injury), order Doordash (only on the weekends--it's a treat!), clean up around the house, take the dog on a walk, try not to let the intrusive thoughts take over completely, catch up on sleep, go grocery shopping.

I love the weekends. They're how I'd like to spend my retirement, and I'd retire tomorrow if I could!

·
SAS Member
14,541 Posts
I work 7 days a week right now so yeah, i work.

I'm about to be done with one job for the season so i'll have more free time to do nothing at all and probably get more depressed. Too much time to think about sad **** isn't good.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts