Social Anxiety Support Forum banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
105 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
i feel like such a dork asking this but i really just cant take being alone all day everyday anymore. i used to pride myself on being a loner and not needing ppl to get through my life. i dont know what it is but at times i actually start feeling physically ill from the sheer boredom i feel when im alone. im really tired of this thing taking over my life, there is no reason i should be living like this while other ppl my age are having the times of their lives. so anyway what do you guys do to combat your boredom. im sure i could find something, but it would only be a temporary fix. idk man, its just so damn frustrating. i just wish there was someway i could meet some like minded ppl.

·
Finding my way
1,932 Posts
Meeting like-minded people eh? Well, this place is a good start. We can always talk about having SA, for one. If you want to meet people in person though you might want to try an SA/shyness support group.

·
alien monk
8,615 Posts
i feel like all of the moments where i see someone that i like something about (it could be anything, their hair or the way they talk or just that they sat next to me, etc.) and would like to talk them but never do is where regular people must source their friends from.

·
Registered
142 Posts
You COULD find other people with SA, but sometimes it can be a pretty drab bunch of people, depending.
Some people join support groups to get better and make progress. Some join 'em to have others hear them complain and in a way don't want to lose that.

Do you play any sports? My anxiety and low confidence meant that I never played sports. You know what's a REALLY good hobby for people with Social Anxiety? Photography! It's quiet, it's low-key and you can join groups of people who do it. A lot of people who are into it are pretty quiet, introverted.
There's also joining a running group, getting into computer stuff (again, lots of introverts), or volunteering to help kids with life obstacles such as autism.

I hope my advice helps you on your path!

·
dirt person
2,788 Posts
i don't know. people are just moving 'objects' for me. i don't know how to interact with them.

·
Registered
658 Posts
What are your interests? Try joining groups or something you like. Or like on person said try a support group. I didn't have much luck with support groups but you might.

·
Registered
103 Posts
Try joining SA groups or other groups that interest you at meetup.com near your area. That way you know you already have something in common with the people you meet from there.

·
Registered
23 Posts
You could considering picking up a musical instrument and joining a band. It doesn't have to be an electric guitar or the saxophone or some random esoteric instrument, as long as it fits in in some band be it jazz or rock or pop.

The initial practice of a musical instrument is probably quite lonely, but once you get to a decent standard (not rock-star, just normal average standard) then its quite possible to use your newfound abilities as a social tool.

Oh dont quote me on this. I'm only at the "lonely initial practice" part myself.

·
Registered
63 Posts
Join a gym. I've found that it works well, even as a band aid solution. I haven't actually talked to anyone yet, but just being engaged in an activity near other people helps. Or maybe it's just the runner's high. Either way, my feelings of loneliness and depression have gone way down ever since I started regularly working out.

·
Trapped in my own head
113 Posts
You basically have to involve yourself in something that's conducive to meeting people. Going to classes, joining clubs, or getting a social job is the best way I've found. You usually have something in common to talk about with the other folks involved.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts