Social Anxiety Support Forum banner
1 - 20 of 28 Posts

·
Registered
534 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I was at the grocery store yesterday and had just got in the express lane and was unloading my stuff from the basket. This older, haggard looking lady stands behind me and puts down a can of Mickey's and cigarettes. I was still trying to free a 12 pack of beer from the basket, when the lady moved her stuff ahead of mine and walked in front of me. She looked like she was maybe the grandmother of the guy who was currently checking out, so I thought she was going to ring her stuff up with his.

Then I realize this old hag had just cut right in front of me. She turns and says "Thank you, sir." I just said "No problem." But, when I realized she had snaked in line, I wanted to slap that leathery face of hers. Not that I'd ever hit an old lady. But, as the day went on, it pissed me off more and more, even though its fairly trivial.

So, how do you guys react to incidents like this when people take advantage of your good nature?

·
Social Anxiety Survivor
45 Posts
It's hard to say what would be the right thing to do. Certainly, what she did wasn't right but some people are like that and you can never change other people. It's best to accept the fact that we're different and that things like that do happen..... and then try not to stress about it to much. When something like that happens to me I try to change my focus to something positive. It just wouldn't make a difference if I wanted to change them. They simply wouldn't change and I would only get upset and my day would be ruined. Just forget it and start thinking about things that you like :) it's not always easy to do that of course :)

·
Registered
163 Posts
I was at the grocery store yesterday and had just got in the express lane and was unloading my stuff from the basket. This older, haggard looking lady stands behind me and puts down a can of Mickey's and cigarettes. I was still trying to free a 12 pack of beer from the basket, when the lady moved her stuff ahead of mine and walked in front of me. She looked like she was maybe the grandmother of the guy who was currently checking out, so I thought she was going to ring her stuff up with his.

Then I realize this old hag had just cut right in front of me. She turns and says "Thank you, sir." I just said "No problem." But, when I realized she had snaked in line, I wanted to slap that leathery face of hers. Not that I'd ever hit an old lady. But, as the day went on, it pissed me off more and more, even though its fairly trivial.

So, how do you guys react to incidents like this when people take advantage of your good nature?
I will just let it go. No point of getting upset at something so tiny. She's an old lady anyway.

You need to have some principles. You don't need to "win" every time. You just need to make sure you don't let others take advantage you on important things. You need to determine if the person is taking advantage of you because they feel you are "weak". If that's the case, then you need to assert yourself.

Getting pissed off on tiny things is why our society is so violent. People start road rages when someone cut them off; people shoot someone because they stepped on their shoes.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Should have said I'm in line here when you saw she was trying to get ahead of you. Something similar happened to me at the bus stop. I was waiting there in line and this
cu-nt of a woman just cut in front of me, pissed me off at the time, but then again I'm an aggressive person.

·
Registered
52 Posts
It's really hard to think of the best response when you are in the situation , but you could have asked Why she said thanks while she didn't even ask for your permission and what was that thanks for(and the rest of your complaint...)

·
Registered
3,836 Posts
^no, pick your fights. This is too trivial to fight. Just allow people like this to be and be glad you have more selfcontrol than her. It's like people in traffic, you get out of their way, and let them be. Going after someone for butting in or something is too trivial and its called road rage with a negative connotation because it is. It is angering though.

·
Registered
163 Posts
Pick your fights. This is too trivial to fight. Just allow people like this to be and be glad you have more selfcontrol than her. It's like people in traffic, you get out of their way, and let them be. Going after someone for butting in or something is too trivial and its called road rage with a negative connotation because it is. It is angering though.

But in your situation if you have some strength on you, a sarcastic remark would suffice that isn't too bad. That isn't a command to get out of line, its just a judgment comment. If you can also remember you are not going to be led into a fight if the person responds. Best thing is to let it be.
Life will be living hell if one lets such trivial incidents affect you.

·
Registered
3,836 Posts
Life will be living hell if one lets such trivial incidents affect you.
Yes. Although the feeling it generates in some is not trivial in nature.

I assume people who push ahead are in some real hurry and there is a need and I just get out of their way and let them be. Although that is probably true a small percentage of the time, I do not know which percentage it would be and it is none of my business. Sarastic thoughts sometimes occur but I shoot them down, as it just isn't worth it. I see others try to make the person feel guilty without demanding they move which have a point yet its still provoking and its not the best thing.

·
Be your own hero
761 Posts
I've had an old lady do the same exact thing to me. I figure old ladies get a free pass, so I just laughed it off.
^This.

I've had an old lady be extremely rude to me over my facial piercings (when I had them) I just brushed it off, she had only just met me SHE DIDN'T KNOW ME.
And I liked the piercings so that was all that mattered :p

·
Registered
10,579 Posts
If a person behind me has only a few things I always just tell them to go ahead of me. No big deal. That is the small town in me. Maybe it is different in the city. But it doesn't ruffle my feathers.

·
Registered
163 Posts
Yes. Although the feeling it generates in some is not trivial in nature.

I assume people who push ahead are in some real hurry and there is a need and I just get out of their way and let them be. Although that is probably true a small percentage of the time, I do not know which percentage it would be and it is none of my business. Sarastic thoughts sometimes occur but I shoot them down, as it just isn't worth it. I see others try to make the person feel guilty without demanding they move which have a point yet its still provoking and its not the best thing.
The truth is, the problem is as big as people imagine it to be. I've spent years in studying positive attitude and I think it definitely helps me to become a more peaceful person.

Let's face it. People on this forum already suffer SA, do they really want add another batch of nasty rage and negativity to the mix?

·
Banned
2,524 Posts
I have also noticed that old people have no shame when it comes to these types of situations. Either they are senile or just don't give a flying ****. I can't wait until when I am old so I can pull these types of stunts.

·
Hear, See , Be silent
1,421 Posts
Superman punch.

·
Registered
619 Posts
TBH I wouldn't care. I might find it funny that she did that. I mean I see no reason to get upset especially since she had a few items. If she had like the max express # of items for that lane then it'd be a bit annoying.

1 - 20 of 28 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.