Social Anxiety Support Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
The Well Mannered Bandit
59 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I know this is not DIRECTLY related to SA but i still thought id ask.

What helps you guys when you get depressed? I'm curious because i am quite depressed at the moment and don't know what to do.

A few days ago i was fine, hell i don't even know why i feel like this right now but i don't know how to get rid of this feeling, it just keeps coming back no matter what i do. So if anyone can help me out it would be greatly appreciated.

·
Banned
47 Posts
stay active... the brain is a muscle and when one gets depressed, one is not using the muscle. you what evidence? get back to me when you work out 3 times a week, and been working on a project for a month... your query has been answered dude. edit, not by the drug companies though lol

·
Banned
1,613 Posts
Music always makes me feel a little better, all day everyday. I Never stop listening to music. So far I'm getting nothing from any of the medications I've tried, except for excessive tiredness.

·
Banned
3,285 Posts
When you realized that 8 years of medication and nothing works, its time for alternative methods. One of my main depressive factors is stress. If I manage my stress levels to where I don't become self-loathing and destructive, I'll be fine. I usually play video games, listen to music, and go to Tai-chi classes every Monday morning before a week of work.

·
Registered
4,027 Posts
I tend to enjoy it for a little while, it is a nice break from fight the world. Then when I have had enough, I change everything in my life I can, diet, exercise, activities. Just try to break the cycle. Change helps a lot. Just you lack motivation because your depressed

·
Registered
16 Posts
i have had a long history with depression. although i took a lot of medication and tried a lot of different therapies, none of it worked. what helped for me was to reframe my situation and take care of myself. i found that when i was physically healthy (ate well, exercised regularly), i was better able to deal with my depression. when i'm depressed these days, i don't beat myself down for it anymore and i try not to turn to food or alcohol. i'll take a walk, watch TV, or visit a cafe to distract myself. for me, having a sense of humor about things helps a lot too.

·
Banned
47 Posts
allow me to explain further since i though about it some more.... remember the dial up days? or if you can, the non-TV days? lol i believe the TV was invented sometime in the 50's so you probably don't (and i was born at least 30 years after the TV was invented, but i am trying to prove a point).... but anyways... the more useless, non-productive, distractions you have, the more your brain learns how to be non-productive=depressed=confused. put one and two together, and you are stuck in a depression state in a circle... lol... the day i hear that depression has a cure is the day i see tabaco companies stop selling tabaco. there you go, put one and two together, and the answer is there.

·
Registered
1 Posts
Depression was linked to SA for me. SA made me tarzan in this world. I know how to speak english, but everybody, everybody,everybody,everybody,everybody,everybody,everybody, thinks I have STRANGE BEHAVIOR. I'm not dangerous, but I'm very strange to people...............Because..........SA by three years old kept me from developing normally as far as social skills go. I kept to myself for over 22 years. My mannerisms are ****ed up warpped. From this rejection, and negative responses I get out of life, I GO INTO SUICIDAL DEPRESSIONS ALL THE TIME. You may not be suicidal, but believe me before long if it hasn't already been found, SA and depression will be seen to strangely pop up in the same environment significantly. They are linked. It's just depression is usually a resulting state of SA.

·
Woot woot!
272 Posts
Usually when I am depressed I play my violin. I keep myself busy reading or anything that seems interesting.

·
Registered
503 Posts
Music always makes me feel a little better, all day everyday. I Never stop listening to music. So far I'm getting nothing from any of the medications I've tried, except for excessive tiredness.
This. Also, cold showers, proper diet, exercise, and meditation are good things to do (or try).

·
who cares..
863 Posts
Doing things like working out I find are great for distracting, I also used to smoke marijuana when I was very depressed, but don't do that unless you want to, of course.
Sometimes, for me watching comedy shows helps, at least for a little bit. If you don't like those, maybe try playing some video games?

Do yourself a favor and try to stay away from alcohol when you're depressed, it does nothing but make it worse.

·
Registered
2,923 Posts
Exercise and eating healthy is what helps me most to feel better. I have been lacking in that for the past week, and therefore feeling more depressed than usual. I think if I start exercising again and eating more healthy, i will feel better.

Also listening to some depressing songs or songs about me, and singing along, somehow it helps me, cause like, then i feel like there has been other people out there who has had my pain.

There's things I read that help put me in a much better mood.

Also, watching stupid silly things usually helps me forget about the bad things for a while.

Also, thinking, if it was meant for me to be dead now, I would be dead. But I'm not dead yet, so it wasn't meant for me to be dead. I have to be alive for some reason.

Staying away from the computer usually helps me too, cause then i'm forced to have to find other things to do with the hours i usually spend on that.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts