Social Anxiety Support Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
If you recognize someone from a distance and they're walking towards you in the hallway. But you don't know each other well enough to stop and chat. Do you pretend to look at something else until they are up close? Because if you greet them too soon, what are you suppose to say when they walk up to you?

And what do you say? THey'd say something like, "Hey. What's up?". You could say "Nothing, you?" but they've already walked off and it's super awkward. So what do you say in this situation?

·
ΓΤΖΜ
3,732 Posts
Walk towards them and try to look at them as an object. Do not change your facial expression or anything. Then when you're quite close, nod and say hi. Again don't try to fake smile or anything. Think of it as business as usual. That's how people greet each other. You DON'T have to ask how they're doing. That's a conversation starter, not a greet.

·
Banned
16,644 Posts
I do this awkward thing where I look at them as if I'm going to say something, but I wait for them to greet me first. Usually nothing is said and things get weird.

·
Registered
18 Posts
I also find this really awkward, I usually pretend I didn't see them until they are very close and then I say hi, how are you? Sometimes I feel so uncomfortable I pretend I don't see them at all. This may make me look mean sometimes, but it's actually because I don't know what to say or when/how to greet them.

·
Registered
18 Posts
I've crossed the road to avoid talking to friends, then chastised myself, then wondered if they weren't friends at all since I wasn't comfortable enough to afford a nod.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts