Social Anxiety Support Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
223 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm curious if anyone else is like me. I find everyone gets into pairs, cliques apart from yours truly, I am very much the lone ranger, I work by myself, I end up taking lunch by myself, its not uncommon for me to go through an entire working day without speaking to anyone, its not that I haven't made the effort, I did at the start but I saw just how 2 faced everyone was so I withdrew into my shell and haven't came out since, it does get very lonely, I often wish I could just go over to someone and have a chat the odd time, stand around the coffee machine drinking coffee with the boss etc but its never gonna happen. I've been working there 6 years now and things aren't likely to change now. Never any promotions, pay raises etc,

I am a great observer at work, Its funny the way people work, a new person starts, for the first few days they may speak to you, be pleasant etc but they are really trying to figure out who's who, once they do they are stuck to the boss like a used fanny pad and your ignored, some make it a full time job sucking up.

·
Registered
3,091 Posts
Yes, I am pretty much "clique-challenged" like you are...People rarely stop by my office for a social chat, I usually only visit a couple of co-worker/friends in their offices almost every day. Funny thing is, I never sit down when I visit them...it feels like being trapped into a heart-to-heart conversation, I guess. So I prefer to stand in their office while I talk, which is usually brief and I usually consult some handwritten notes on index cards to remind myself of things I want to talk about while making sure they don't see me checking my notes. I am okay with my close friends not visiting my office as it puts me on the spot as I feel I have to desperately scramble to think of things to talk about. I never go out to eat lunch with co-workers unless it is a group of three or more, never one-on-one which makes me nervous due to my having to carry the conversation and try and pretend to be entertaining and informative and "normal."

·
madly in love
2,433 Posts
i pretty much just do my thing and that's it. i teach my classes and do great with my students but don't really talk to my colleagues (other teachers etc).

at my last job i had a reputation for being quiet, but i at least liked my coworkers and i thought my coworkers liked me.

now i pretty much ignore everyone.

·
Registered
239 Posts
I'm an intern at a small pharmaceutical company, working in research. It's a 6 month period, and I've been there for about 3-4 months now.

The atmosphere is really laid back and social, and everyone seems to click perfectly with each other. They're all really nice to me, but I can't help but get this feeling like I "tricked" them into thinking that I was normal during my job interview, and now they're all starting to realize that I'm secretly awkward/weird. To make it worse, there is a second intern who started at the same time as me, and she's incredibly outgoing and friendly.

But, I guess the good thing is that nobody talks much when we're in the lab. It's too easy to distract someone from what they're doing and cause them to mess up their whole experiment. So, I can always just leave my desk and duck into the lab when I need a breather.

·
Banned
422 Posts
I'm an intern at a small pharmaceutical company, working in research. It's a 6 month period, and I've been there for about 3-4 months now.

The atmosphere is really laid back and social, and everyone seems to click perfectly with each other. They're all really nice to me, but I can't help but get this feeling like I "tricked" them into thinking that I was normal during my job interview, and now they're all starting to realize that I'm secretly awkward/weird. To make it worse, there is a second intern who started at the same time as me, and she's incredibly outgoing and friendly.

But, I guess the good thing is that nobody talks much when we're in the lab. It's too easy to distract someone from what they're doing and cause them to mess up their whole experiment. So, I can always just leave my desk and duck into the lab when I need a breather.
I can totally relate to feeling like you have tricked them into hiring you. I do pretty well in interviews and usually feel a rush excitement along with my nervousness. It's once people have a chance to spend time around me that I start worrying they will see my awkwardness. I have been working in my current department for over two years now and have made at least one good friend. Him and I go to lunch together and pretty much bull**** all day since our cubes are right next to each other. This has been a new experience for me. In the past I have pretty much isolated myself during work. I think it really helps if you can find just one buddy/friend at work and then just make small talk with the rest of them. I have hung out with a few others outside of work but I work with almost all females so I'm not sure my girlfriend would feel comfortable with me hanging out with them. Anyways, I think it's best to just shoot for making one friend at work and it makes it so much easier to get through the days. Having someone to go out to lunch with is a huge plus. I never have gotten the hang out talking to my boss or other higher ups. I feel like a deer in headlights and often feel like a made a fool of myself. I'm always so worried people will discover just how weird I am.

·
electric
6,777 Posts
It bothers me a little when my co-workers mostly talk to each other and not me, but we talk a little and I have a good time with them a little and when it comes down to it, I kinda don't want any more than that a lot of the time. These two in cubes right next to me in particular can get going on and on about such retarded things. I like a little bit of retarded joking around but I get my fill and then I just want them to go away and let me do my work!

I also wonder sometimes how I even got my job. I feel dumb there a LOT.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts