Social Anxiety Support Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I want a part time job to save up money and to have something to do with m time, but even the thought of asking for the application is scary. I can only imagine how difficult and embarrassing it would be to have to go for the quick training and meet all the people who work there alrea'dy. I don't think it's impossible though, because even people who seem shy that I see in real life have jobs. Okay, do you have to ask if they're hiring first, and then ask for an application? What raises your chance of getting the job, and what type is best for a socially anxious person? Also, do I need a 'worker's permit'?

·
Registered
909 Posts
Just go in and ask someone at the desk for an application and fill it out. I'm guessing you don't have any previous work experience so that'll make it a little more difficult to get job. Just apply everywhere you can think of. On the references put down some place you volunteered at or something like that.

If they don't call you within a week call them and say you applied and was wondering if you could come in for an interview.

I think the law is different depending on where you live, but where I'm from you need one if you're under 18. There are quite a few places though that don't really care about it.

·
In perpetual wait.
387 Posts
At 17 you don't have many options for places to work at. Look at some fast food places that are not too busy/seem kinda laid back, and just ask for an application. People ask for them so they usually just have them under the counter. In the US you will need a work permit, since you are under 18. If your still in school you would get them from your school guidance counselor, they should be able to answer any questions you have about it. Basicly you get your work permit after you get hired. You have to fill it out, get your employer/counselor/parent to sign it and I think your employer has to keep it on file.

I've had 3 jobs since I turned 16, and my experience with all of them was fairly positive. Its really easy to bond with co-workers, and you might even make some new close friends. Everybody is there for the same reason, they need money just like you do, and people are usually pretty friendly.

If your getting a job at a fast food place don't really worry about the interview. The two I worked at, the interview pretty much consisted of the manager telling me about the job, and letting me know when to start. You really wont have to do much talking.

·
Registered
21 Posts
I'm needing a job too, done high school and just been sitting around doing mostly nothing... I'm 19... I think my mom is getting frustrated with me, and I need a job for things i want too. I just can't bring myself to apply and do an interview... I haven't even went and got my ID yet actually. It's sad... :blank

Good luck on any jobs you apply for. Hope it goes well for you.

·
Registered
999 Posts
Look on job sites, find a job that seems appropriate, call up the job place (thats the hard part, I did it for my first time today, and sat their for like an hour panicking before I finally done it). Once you have gotten through, ask them if their is any requirements for the job that is not mentioned on the advert (so they know you read it and are interested), then try and change your resume and cover letter to match any information they gave you on the phone and information from the resume.

Well that's how my rich as uncle who works for the BBC said how to get jobs . . I'm still anxiously trying to get over the ringing up part

·
Registered
71 Posts
I get nervous on interviews, but for some reason my mind works differently with them. It's something I feel like I have to do, almost like breathing, I have to have a job. But then I have children as well. Maybe you can find a different mind set for this, approach it a different way than you do everything else. I really don't change jobs often though, that's almost certainly due to the anxiety. I've been with my current employer for 8 years now, I do like the job though :)

Anyway, good luck with the job hunting, I really hope you are able to find something and learn from the experience along the way!

·
All Kinds of Awesome
1,418 Posts
At your age, it is going to be VERY difficult to find a job. It depends on where you live, but I know people that are middle-aged and have had to work at retail/ lower-level jobs. If you absolutely need a job, try to find an "in" somewhere. Notifying family/friends is a huge start.

If I were to do it again, besides firing my psychiatrist, I would go find a mentor who was willing to teach me a trade OR attempt duel-enrollment.

My parents are hard realists, I was never given allowance and I have been working since I was 12. I can't say as to whether or not that was good for me, but learning the value of money and time... well that certainly was.

Job options typical of teens:
Fast-food
Library Position
Basic Data-entry
Caddy (awful for an SASer)
Bagger at a grocery-store
Stock-person

My school had a job vocational out-reach program too. The jobs were strictly stipulated for the summer time and the pay was at minimum, but it at least was something to put on the resume.

--Shawn

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Thanks for the replies. I just have a fear that they're going to think I'm foolish for applying. I need to learn the change my voice to make it more audible.

·
Registered
63 Posts
Something else to consider at your age would be to work in a kitchen somewhere. I know a few people who work in kitchens and socializing is minimal, mostly with co-workers. Country clubs, hotels, and restaurants have positions, such as line cooks that you could be trained to do. The hospitality industry has many “back of the house” positions available.

Most of these places have people working at a front desk who can give you an application and they can usually tell you what positions are open.

Good luck with the job hunt.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts