Social Anxiety Support Forum banner
1 - 20 of 36 Posts

·
Spectacular Member
21,089 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I need to gain weight in a world bent on losing it! I'm like 5'9" and only 125lbs and only got like 4-5% body fat. I can take in like 4000 cals a day and I don't exercise at all and I can barely gain a lb which I end up losing the next day. I would go to the gym but I'm afriad of losing what little fat that I have. I hate being skin and bones... any suggestions?? How do you gain muscles without losing weight?? :stu

·
Registered
138 Posts
I've gained a much needed 14 pounds in the past few months by drinking a smoothie every morning with my breakfast. A smoothie can help add the extra calories you need. I make mine with a couple scoops of protein powder. The one I make has about 600 calories per serving, along with a healthy dose of good fats and about 25 grams of protein.

·
Registered
249 Posts
Every healthy person can gain weight. I agree that you probably arent eating 4000 calories a day. At your size and weight 4000 calories is alot for an inactive person.
If you want to ensure that you gain weight, write down everything you eat for a week. Count up the calories and average each days calories for the week. If you havent gained or lost weight then this will be your base number. Start gradually increasing your calories each week and you will gain weight.

If thats too anal for you, then just eat more food. Obviously even if you eat alot now, its not enough.

·
Registered
249 Posts
Pip said:
I've gained a much needed 14 pounds in the past few months by drinking a smoothie every morning with my breakfast. A smoothie can help add the extra calories you need. I make mine with a couple scoops of protein powder. The one I make has about 600 calories per serving, along with a healthy dose of good fats and about 25 grams of protein.
I think this is a great way to add extra calories. I make my own weight gaining shakes. Oats, Whey, Peanut Butter, and Milk or Water. You can get as much as 1000 calories out of them.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Weight gain!

ummmmmmmm I remember at your age I also wanted to gain weight... Well you wanna gain weight just start drinking alcohol and then your age will also add on pounds lol :fall
No all jokes aside like everyone else is saying just strength train to build mass which mean lift heavy avoid cardio and eat lots of protein.

·
Registered
101 Posts
Consume more calories than you burn. Just keep that in mind and the rest is easy.

But since your body resists putting on fat you'll need to strength train to put on flesh your body won't reject - muscle.

Avoid cardio, at least until you start putting on dozens of pounds of flesh. By that time you'll want to keep your heart in tune with your higher weight otherwise you'll risk seriously stressing your ticker.

cheers

·
Registered
17 Posts
Check out http://www.musclegaintips.com/. That program is geared towards skinny dudes, aka ectomorphs.

I actually bought this 3 years ago but finally began to do the diet and exercise program for the past 9 weeks. I've gained about 22 pounds thus far, the majority being lean mass. I'm currently on a 3000 calories diet.

I'm 5'11" and 160 lb. now, at about 14% body fat. I was 138 lb. and about 11% bf before. I'm planning to get to 175 lb. and 8% bf ultimately.

·
You can do this!
4,464 Posts
Zephyr said:
Eat pizza, and lots of it.
:agree

I also recommend getting on an antidepressant. Worked for me! (Unfortunately.) See if you can't get on Remeron or Amitryptiline; I guarantee you will gain weight.

·
Registered
1,246 Posts
Noca said:
I need to gain weight in a world bent on losing it! I'm like 5'9" and only 125lbs and only got like 4-5% body fat. I can take in like 4000 cals a day and I don't exercise at all and I can barely gain a lb which I end up losing the next day. I would go to the gym but I'm afriad of losing what little fat that I have. I hate being skin and bones... any suggestions?? How do you gain muscles without losing weight?? :stu
Hey, check your private messages. First i responded to the post, but it became so long i didnt want to kill the thread with this really long post, so i sent it to you personally. Its about how i was also 5'9 125 skinny and weak, and in a few months had girls sweating me, and rediculously high self esteem.

·
Registered
1 Posts
Before I injured my shoulder I was weight lifting a lot and eating all day.
I went from 140lbs to 190lbs (I'm 6foot6) and looked much better.

You should go check on some bodybuilding forums like http://forum.bodybuilding.com/

First you have to calculate how many kcal your body needs,
how many you'll burn during the day, and at 500kcal to gain muscle.

Then you have to make a good workout routine (look at examples on the site)
be sure to train each muscle once a week very hard.
(if you train muscle twice or more they wont grow unless you have the genetics for it)

you'll be a huge mofo within a few years if you do it right !

edit: btw, dont start using anabolics, they wont help if you dont have a good base
(I'm not saying you gonna use them, just warning ya)

·
You can do this!
4,464 Posts
So, here's my "get big" plan, Noca:

1. Take Remeron or Paxil (or stay on Zyprexa if you don't mind it). Or similar fatty antidepressants.

2. Lift weights. That is to say, powerlift. Stick to squats, deadlifts, and bench presses, and do accessory exercises once in a while. There are many good powerlifting routines online, just google it.

3. Avoid about, ummm, 95% of everything you read about weightlifting or dieting. It's mostly crap. Avoid supplements and fad diets. Just eat quality food and get sufficient rest. Avoid steroids like the plague, unless you want to die at age 50. If you see any book, periodical, or website that features ugly monstery dudes with shiny shiny skin, little red sirens should go off in your head that you are reading a giant load of turtle crap.

4. Be patient. It takes time (months and years) to gain lean muscle mass.

·
Registered
1,246 Posts
Caedmon said:
3. Avoid about, ummm, 95% of everything you read about weightlifting or dieting. It's mostly crap. Avoid supplements and fad diets. Just eat quality food and get sufficient rest. Avoid steroids like the plague, unless you want to die at age 50. If you see any book, periodical, or website that features ugly monstery dudes with shiny shiny skin, little red sirens should go off in your head that you are reading a giant load of turtle crap.
Nah, he needs some creatine and protein. Hes not gonna eat 6 cans of tuna throughout the day, or probably eat much more than he does now. Hes skinny for a reason. I couldnt keep up with, or physically stomach all that eating. Protein/ high calorie shakes packed the pounds on when i was lifting regularly.

·
Spectacular Member
21,089 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Well with Zyprexa I've been eating like 2-3x as much food. Went from 125lbs to 137lbs in bout 2 weeks? less? I've started working out already daily. As for the supplements, creatine for example I'm not so sure if I should take them.

·
Registered
3,169 Posts
I took Optimum Nutritiuns "Seious Mass" when I wanted to make progress on lifting weights. I took 2 scoops a day. It worked to. I was increasing my workouts by 5 pounds every weeks. But after about 2 or 3 months I hit a plateau. So I stopped and went on a cardio spree to drop the weight i gained while trying to maintain the muscle i gained.

·
You can do this!
4,464 Posts
Mark said:
Creatine is like steroids in that it will work while you're taking it but once you stop taking it you'll deflate.
Neither steroids nor creatine act in that way. However, steroids are extremely damaging when used as a bodybuilding supplement, and I don't recommend them.

Creatine isn't very dangerous but it is overrated. Creatine simply allows higher fluid capacity in skeletal muscle cells. This means that your muscles can store more energy and water. Creatine is helpful for higher-rep workouts, but not for aerobics or low-rep workouts.

1 - 20 of 36 Posts