Social Anxiety Support Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
52 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
What a stupid bloody question. Come across it for years though. So for some reason, i don't know maybe progression in therapy? i have revisited this idea. To this point it has never meant much, just a thing, anyway i started appologising to myself when those haunting memories arose and i think it's making a difference. Sometimes those memories would be triggered in some way during a day or i would dream about them and wake up thinking about it and kicking myself for it, aka wanting to smash my head through a wall. Let me share, i once ended up with my best friends girlfriend. That was at least 15 years ago and it still haunts me today. When i say "ended up with", that's how little of a clue i had to the situation that unfolded. So i've said, i'm sorry how i stole your girlfriend, i didn't realise what or how things were happening. I appologise out loud and i think it's making a difference. BTW I have considered appologising for real time and time again but so long had passed and i can't even find them on the net. The other thing is this is my nightmare, those people won't even remember me now, but i digress, it's not about them, it's about us.

·
Seriously , never serious
6,456 Posts
I say 6.5 Hail Marie's and spit on the nearest dog just before kicking it in the ***
Naa just jokes

It's in the past so long ago just let it go and move on the thing you do when you are young are part of learning and you learned form doing that and time to forget the crime but remember the lesson hope you do forgive and forget .

·
Fitting In Here & There
808 Posts
I think you are using the forgiving yourself idea in a very appropriate way. You feel guilty about hurting someone else and are expressing it so it doesn't stay bottled up inside you and eat away at you.

As far as doing it for real, I bet they have long since already forgiven you, and I bet it would be very nice of you, but I also bet it's just as well for you to keep it to yourself. You are benefiting from what you're doing and so obviously it's working. I sometimes express things in writing and then don't give it to them, and that seems to help too.

·
Registered
7 Posts
I don't know... I tend to think the best way to attain forgiveness is through redemption.

What you did is bad but I also think you are being too sensitive. I would think there is more to your self pity than stealing your friends girlfriend 15 years ago.

Sorry if I seem blunt.

·
Banned
3,061 Posts
I think you are using the forgiving yourself idea in a very appropriate way. You feel guilty about hurting someone else and are expressing it so it doesn't stay bottled up inside you and eat away at you.

This is what I use SAS for.
Our problem is more often than not; lack of self-expression, not the issue itself.eg. forgiveness. Once we express it, the problem starts to gradually deflate, from a monstrous size to a matchbox size. We just need to get our perspective.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts