Social Anxiety Support Forum banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
591 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Ones that value, physics, chemistry, biology, neurology, etc., and don't use alternative therapies and spirituality. Basically, psychologists that are skeptics and methodological naturalists.

·
Sigh.
9,313 Posts
I'd say I like them a bit more. It feels I can take their word more easily, in that they speak facts/reasonable theories and not hogwash.

·
Athiest and Nihilist.
601 Posts
So are you saying you prefer those who base their practices in mystical spooky mumbojumbo than those who base theirs in an understanding of neurology (which is responsible for ALL your feelings) and the physical world?

Yeah, I'd rather go with the second one...

You wouldn't go for an operation if you thought the doctors were going to use anything but scientific, physical methods for ensuring your well being a presume?

I'd rather have a qualified, medically trained 21st century doctor here in the UK perform a surgery than a witchdoctor on some desert island who specializes in contacting the spirits.

·
transcendence
100 Posts
Psychology is still a very new science and it's completely different from biology, physiology, chemistry, etc because you are dealing with the human conscious. If psychology was treated the same way, there would be no therapy, just drugs, electroshock therapy, and lobotomies, etc (which are all proven to not be cures). Also, neurology is not the same thing as psychology. If its a neurological problem, the patient goes to a neurologist.

As a psychologist/therapist, you have to be empathetic and keep an open mind. What works for one person, won't work for everyone. They're dealing with peoples' emotions and emotions are irrational. Psycholoanaysis attempted to be based in science (heavily influenced by Darwinism and focused on controlling emotions) but today it is largely discredited of having any scientific basis and is actually more esoteric than what a lot of people would consider to be hippie mumbo jumbo therapy (ex: dream analysis). Much of it rings true but it is over 100 years old and a lot of freud's theories have been disproven.

There are many different methods of therapy but I have never heard of a therapist using faith/spirituality-based therapy without advertising that they offer it. Its important that some therapists do because some people see self-growth as spiritual-growth and there's nothing wrong with that if it's healthy.

Patients need to be treated like people with real problems and they need to be given tools to work with it on their own. It's self-examination and a change of perception that helps people. Approaching therapy as a doctor treating a disorder will only alienate the patient and dehumanize them.

there are methods that may seem like crazy voodoo but are based on lots of research. You can't break down peoples' barriers with reason. We're animals and our primal selves are the core of our being. Many spiritual practices are pre-psychology forms of therapy. Yoga is proven to help. It doesn't matter wether or not you are religious. Controlling your breath and your body really does help you relax.

It's still hard to say wether or not psychology is a science and so much of it is still intertwined with philosophy because the conscious is still and enigma. Also, therapists are not doctors. They're not scientists. They're therapists. That doesn't make them irrelevant or obsolete. People need to have abstract discussions about their thoughts and feelings.

Sorry for the rant. This kind of thing just really bothers me and I'm not religious. It has nothing to do with religion.

·
transcendence
100 Posts
So are you saying you prefer those who base their practices in mystical spooky mumbojumbo than those who base theirs in an understanding of neurology (which is responsible for ALL your feelings) and the physical world?

You wouldn't go for an operation if you thought the doctors were going to use anything but scientific, physical methods for ensuring your well being a presume?

I'd rather have a qualified, medically trained 21st century doctor here in the UK perform a surgery than a witchdoctor on some desert island who specializes in contacting the spirits.
How do you suppose a neurologist would treat someone grieving or someone with a midlife crisis? What about victims of abuse?

·
Registered
149 Posts
How do you suppose a neurologist would treat someone grieving or someone with a midlife crisis? What about victims of abuse?
Obviously they'd channel the spirit of Mahatma Gandhi through their 7 chakras and sacrifice a goat to Cthulhu.

·
Registered
1,977 Posts
I would be highly concerned if any therapist spoke of spiritual nonsense in regards to helping me. I'd want to leave and find a true therapist of the mind, not wishful thinking.

·
transcendence
100 Posts
Some people don't know what physchology is.
I have never had a psychologist or therapist talk to me about spirituality.

·
transcendence
100 Posts
But one thing is for sure, we need therapists that value physics! How could they possibly understand emotional trauma without at least a basic understanding of Newtonian theory?

·
Athiest and Nihilist.
601 Posts
Obviously they'd channel the spirit of Mahatma Gandhi through their 7 chakras and sacrifice a goat to Cthulhu.
Haha, this made me laugh.

·
Athiest and Nihilist.
601 Posts
I don't know, I'm not a neurologist.

Probably by giving them drugs which alter the balance of their brain chemistry?

·
transcendence
100 Posts
I don't know, I'm not a neurologist.

Probably by giving them drugs which alter the balance of their brain chemistry?
That's what a psychiatrist does and drugs don't work for everything. Do you know what a neurologist is? They work with neurological disorders like epilepsy and strokes. I don't think you know what you are talking about.

·
Athiest and Nihilist.
601 Posts
That's what a psychiatrist does and drugs don't work for everything. Do you know what a neurologist is? They work with neurological disorders like epilepsy and strokes. I don't think you know what you are talking about.
OK... then they electricute their brains... I don't know, I'M NOT A BLOODY NEUROLOGIST! (As I said before...) :D

I'm not trying to act like a big genius on the net, I honestly don't care.

Do you really care THAT much?

·
Registered
591 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·

Wait, when did I say that I prefer mystical practices?

·
Registered
591 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Psychology is still a very new science and it's completely different from biology, physiology, chemistry, etc because you are dealing with the human conscious. If psychology was treated the same way, there would be no therapy, just drugs, electroshock therapy, and lobotomies, etc (which are all proven to not be cures). Also, neurology is not the same thing as psychology. If its a neurological problem, the patient goes to a neurologist.

As a psychologist/therapist, you have to be empathetic and keep an open mind. What works for one person, won't work for everyone. They're dealing with peoples' emotions and emotions are irrational. Psycholoanaysis attempted to be based in science (heavily influenced by Darwinism and focused on controlling emotions) but today it is largely discredited of having any scientific basis and is actually more esoteric than what a lot of people would consider to be hippie mumbo jumbo therapy (ex: dream analysis). Much of it rings true but it is over 100 years old and a lot of freud's theories have been disproven.

There are many different methods of therapy but I have never heard of a therapist using faith/spirituality-based therapy without advertising that they offer it. Its important that some therapists do because some people see self-growth as spiritual-growth and there's nothing wrong with that if it's healthy.

Patients need to be treated like people with real problems and they need to be given tools to work with it on their own. It's self-examination and a change of perception that helps people. Approaching therapy as a doctor treating a disorder will only alienate the patient and dehumanize them.

there are methods that may seem like crazy voodoo but are based on lots of research. You can't break down peoples' barriers with reason. We're animals and our primal selves are the core of our being. Many spiritual practices are pre-psychology forms of therapy. Yoga is proven to help. It doesn't matter wether or not you are religious. Controlling your breath and your body really does help you relax.

It's still hard to say wether or not psychology is a science and so much of it is still intertwined with philosophy because the conscious is still and enigma. Also, therapists are not doctors. They're not scientists. They're therapists. That doesn't make them irrelevant or obsolete. People need to have abstract discussions about their thoughts and feelings.

Sorry for the rant. This kind of thing just really bothers me and I'm not religious. It has nothing to do with religion.
It would be nice if they were empathetic, but some just lead you on or want to impose their beliefs on you. I live in one of the more liberal and less religious states, and 75% of the people I've seen have either promoted Christian or New Age religious views. One of the most blatant was a past therapist trying to convince me that NDEs were proof of Heaven and that you can't get there with suicide. Some other therapists were more subtle but would think that I was close-minded for not accepting claims without evidence about religious views, acupuncture, etc.

I've received a lot of preaching about yoga, meditation, and controlling your breath from various therapists. Some people report feeling relaxed from these practices, but that's never been the case for me. All three of those increase my anxiety. Saying that they're proven to work (if you're claiming all people) simply isn't true. Even medications don't work that way. With SSRIs for example, there's a certain percentage of a sample size in the study that they work for, while the same medications don't help for some people. Same goes with side effects -- only some will experience them.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts