Social Anxiety Support Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
162 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm in an upper level physics class and I just got news today we have to do a group presentation. I thought I didn't have to deal with freaking bull **** presentations by having a physics major, this just sucks. Not only do I loathe presentations, but I'm pretty much the outsider in my class while everyone else is friends. Everyone knows that I'm weird to begin with - I never really minded that since I never had to work with them until now. We have to pick our own groups and I know no one is going to pick me. My professor is going to have to force me into a group and make a fool of myself in front of everyone, as if they didn't like me already. On top of that I have huge presentation anxiety and the last one I had to do in high school was a nightmare. I really hate this... seems like there's no hope for people like me. If I can't speak with other people how am I going to survive in a job? Really hating life right now.

·
Registered
71 Posts
I used to dread presentations as well, but with practice, I've learned how to cope with it better.

I just had a presentation a couple weeks ago and today we had to act out an entire skit! So everyone looked foolish. But, you mentioned that it was a group presentation rather than one by yourself, and I think that's just a tad bit better. It may not seem like it, but you have to remember that all the focus isn't going to be on you all the time. I've personally always felt like I feel less anxious during group presentations than I do by myself, because the attention is going to be on me only momentarily, and I think that's something you should remember, that the whole thing is only momentary.

Coming from someone who also has presentation anxiety, I've learned a couple tricks. I've read somewhere that it is better to deal with anxiety by believing you'll do great instead of trying to get rid of your anxiety. That never works. I learned that anxiety is kind of like a ride that you can't get off and you simply have to go through it no matter how painful, and it will be very painful, but it gets better on the other end, and you just have to remember there is an end. Anyways, the reason why believing you'll do great instead of trying to alleviate the anxiety is because all that energy will be going to a positive place rather than a negative one, so by transferring all that energy in a different mindset you'll make yourself believe you'll do great, which puts less emphasis on the anxiety.

Something else I learned has to do with positioning your body in poses that exude confidence and dominance. I actually don't do it as often as I should but I learned that opening yourself up instead of closing yourself off helps to shift your mindset to that of confidence instead of inferiority. For example, standing straight up with your arms bent towards your hips or leaning back on a chair with your arms behind your head are considered positions of confidence, and sitting slouched forward or standing with your arms across your chest is considered more timid and inferior, so maybe you should try "opening" your posture for awhile, to get your brain into a different mindset.

You have to remember that we just have to do presentations, and you're going to have to go through them, but you have to remember that they do end. They don't go on forever. Also, there won't be so much attention on you because you'll be with other people, so there's less pressure. And also, doing it and finishing it should come off to you as an accomplishment rather than a burden, because you did it, you went through, and you came out the other side, and it ended, and the pressure will be off, and the anxiety will eventually subside.

And breathe, remember that it will be over soon, and that no one is actually paying attention to you (really, literally no one cares, everyone has to do it but no one is actually paying that much attention; it's more like a formality).

I really hope some of this helps, and good luck!!! :clap

·
Registered
4 Posts
I used to dread doing a presentation but the past few that ive done have went ok, id just stand there and read from a piece of paper or from the board i guess it helps that the people in the class all get along with each other.

The last one that i done i didnt even do any preparation for, we were in groups of two and it was a roleplay type thing - one person had to pretend to be a customer at a restuarant not satisfied with their food (i was this one) and the other had to pretend to be a waiter dealing with the customer and i actually felt good afterwards because i made people laugh throughout it. I think i have a good sense of humour but i never get to use it, people say that im funny because im sarcastic :)

·
Registered
1,338 Posts
I'm going to present on Tuesday for just 2 mins with my group. I am going to be nervous.. I don't think I will be able to make eye contact.
I have presented before, so I should be fine.

·
Registered
1,338 Posts
If you rehearse, you should be fine. I will be practicing a bit for my 2 mins presentation. I don't want to just read the slides. :)

1 - 7 of 7 Posts