Social Anxiety Support Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Ten years ago I was a poor obese kid who couldn't leave the house without having a panic attack, I've come a long ways but having that rough childhood has really screwed me up. I've really tried to overcome my faults over the last ten years, lost weight, forced myself to be social, but I haven't had success. At this point I've pretty much given up hope that I'll ever have a normal social life and will die alone.

Unfortunately this realization has made me become quite depressed, I find pleasure in nothing, have essentially done nothing for the last two weeks at all. I've gone from not ever thinking of suicide to constantly thinking about it lately. I feel like I'm slowly going crazy. I'm not in imminent danger to myself, but I don't know if I can survive another couple of months like this.

I mean, if it has come to this, what truly is the point of living if getting through each day is hard? Knowing that this is it, this is your life as unfair as it may seem.

·
electric
6,777 Posts
I figure people can live with quite a deal of pain ... so long as they feel a sense of purpose, something that gives them meaning and wish to live on.

If you can never have a normal social life, perhaps there is something else worth living for, or which brings you pleasure to aim for. I think we have to learn to let our happiness decide what is good and true and worthwhile. I think that's a skill, and thus something we are able to learn.

·
Patron St. of Mediocrity
3,188 Posts
I learned to live through things like hobbies and interests. It's what keeps me going.

·
Registered
4,647 Posts
If you have accepted the fact that you'll always be single, try to find something you'd like to do.

There are lot of activites that are fun alone.

How about travelling? backpacking though europe? scuba diving in australia? the beaches of costa rica?

I've come to the conclusion that I'll always be alone as well but I'm looking forward to travelling once I have a bit of money.

·
Banned
252 Posts
Well i'm determined to stick it out, but most of my strength lies with things i love. I often live in my own world and relate to fictional characters alot or something else that makes me happy.

·
Banned
3,167 Posts
The way I cope now is to just basically live in denial and kid myself I'll succeed in life one day. It's all ultimately pointless anyway.

·
Cut Above
1,827 Posts
Just be comfortable knowing that you aren't moving into unknown territory. Choose to occupy yourself, find a hobby.
I am pretty depressed sometimes, playing video games or rendering my 3D characters takes my mind off of it..
You don't NEED others to make you happy. You just want it, so rewrite your list of wants and be positive! ^_^

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
I learned to live through things like hobbies and interests. It's what keeps me going.
I figure people can live with quite a deal of pain ... so long as they feel a sense of purpose, something that gives them meaning and wish to live on.

If you can never have a normal social life, perhaps there is something else worth living for, or which brings you pleasure to aim for. I think we have to learn to let our happiness decide what is good and true and worthwhile. I think that's a skill, and thus something we are able to learn.
This is what I did for a large portion of my life, but my depression has engulfed me so bad that I find no pleasure in anything. If I watch a movie I pause after ten minutes, basically just don't want to do anything.

Do you feel like you tried hard enough that you should have gotten better results?
Yes, I have no idea why I haven't.

If you have accepted the fact that you'll always be single, try to find something you'd like to do.

There are lot of activites that are fun alone.

How about travelling? backpacking though europe? scuba diving in australia? the beaches of costa rica?

I've come to the conclusion that I'll always be alone as well but I'm looking forward to travelling once I have a bit of money.
I actually just did two months in Europe and then tried to lose myself in work but it hasn't worked :(

Well i'm determined to stick it out, but most of my strength lies with things i love. I often live in my own world and relate to fictional characters alot or something else that makes me happy.
I live in my own world also, the only thing that cheers me up is just living in my head and pretending this is what my life is like. I always thought that eventually I'll get there but now realize it's just delusions.

The way I cope now is to just basically live in denial and kid myself I'll succeed in life one day. It's all ultimately pointless anyway.
I did this for a while, I was optimistic it would get better though, it didn't :(

·
♎ Mackinac Island Fanatic
28,958 Posts

This here.

And as everyone else has been saying...hobbies, interests, and pastimes.

Most days, these two points are all that keep me going.

ETA, eh, I see I crossposted and the OP has already rejected this...ah well. It's all I've got. :stu

·
Banned
252 Posts
I live in my own world also, the only thing that cheers me up is just living in my head and pretending this is what my life is like. I always thought that eventually I'll get there but now realize it's just delusions.
Well it depends what u want from life i guess, but i think u just need to find something ur passionate about or a hobby.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts