Social Anxiety Support Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
11,157 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I've done something bad, and I feel terrible about it.

I have recently been neglecting my work (a mixture of depression, side effects from SSRIs and simple laziness), and I was supposed to present in class today, however, because I haven't done any preparation, I emailed the professor and told him that I was ill and that I wasn't coming. This means that my professor at short notice had to change the topic for class today, and other students who read for today have done so for nothing. My professor wasn't angry and I've apologised to him but I still feel terrible.

When I feel guilty I get thoughts of self-loathing and self-harm. Is there a better way to deal with it? How do you deal with guilt?

·
UnDeRrAtED
34,712 Posts
Thats inappropriate guilt. Its not like you killed someone. Anxiety and guilt go hand in hand and can make it seem alike. Neglecting your work isnt as bad as stealing or any other negative thing imo. You could get in trouble with your work not doing your job but you wont go to jail. sometimes I just dont think about any kind of guilt I may feel other wise it makes me look suspicious.

·
Registered
11,157 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thats inappropriate guilt. Its not like you killed someone. Anxiety and guilt go hand in hand and can make it seem alike. Neglecting your work isnt as bad as stealing or any other negative thing imo. You could get in trouble with your work not doing your job but you wont go to jail. sometimes I just dont think about any kind of guilt I may feel other wise it makes me look suspicious.
I suppose. Thanks man I appreciate this advice :)

·
Registered
831 Posts
Guilt exists to keep us from repeating the same mistake, so maybe when you are feeling that way, try and put that energy into reflecting on how you can avoid it in the future. Plus if you put your thoughts toward the future rather than the past it'll help you shift your focus from excessive self-blaming/loathing and towards self-improvement. It's easier said than done but it's also healthier.

·
Registered
3,407 Posts
I usually blast heavy metal and lay in bed until it goes away.

That or going for a run. Exercise is a great way to let off stress and guilt, in my opinion, especially if it's guilt over something relatively minor (like your case). It takes that motivation to go out and do it, but in my opinion it's great for taking your mind off whatever it is that's bothering you.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts