Social Anxiety Support Forum banner
1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have been getting a lot of stares lately, and it's driving me crazy. I seriousy hate being stared at...I don't know what to do when it happens. Do I stare back? Smile? Glare? Ignore the person? Argh...

·
Done with SA
1,818 Posts
When people stare at me, my reaction depends on a lot of things. What expression do they have? How do they look? Is there a reason for their staring? Where are we? What's the situation?
Usually I'll just smile, but sometimes I'll glare until they stop staring, or flirt with my eyes(coy smile with a little batting of the lashes), which is something I shouldn't be doing.

·
Registered
192 Posts
Don't stare back. I usually just give them a quick glance and maybe a quick smile. That's it. Then I ignore them. When I do that, they usually stop staring because I think they know I saw them staring. That makes them uncomfortable.

·
Registered
311 Posts
I never know what the proper course of action is, so I look the other way to try and see if they're staring at someone/thing else or I pretend to be texting with a friend so I have something else to concentrate on.

·
SAS Member
31,286 Posts
Well you're never going to know why they are staring unless you ask them so the best thing to do is to just walk on by and go about your business.

·
Registered
154,233 Posts
Well you're never going to know why they are staring unless you ask them so the best thing to do is to just walk on by and go about your business.
With me, it's because of SA....period. I can't help it if other people freak out and think I am stalking them. They wish! I'd rather stay away from them....FAR away. :hide

·
Registered
207 Posts
Acknowledge them or ignore them, they don't see anything wrong with you, if they do they don't exist. If you are female I don't know it might be a sign that they are interested and maybe a little shy.

·
Banned
728 Posts
I "cope" poorly. Its embarrasing if someone stares, even if its a positive thing, it makes me nervous.

Most of the time they will be too far away for me to do anyhting about (like from another side of the room etc)

·
UnDeRrAtED
34,712 Posts
I dont care what anyone thinks eventhough I feel super self conscious

·
dazed and confused
960 Posts
I say "Do you want my autograph?" LOL no, I don't, but I feel like saying it. I'm pretty self-conscious, and often have the feeling that people are staring at me, but I'm not sure if they really do or if it's just paranoia. Depending on my mood, I just ignore them, or frown at them. I really hate the feeling of being stared at, that's for sure.

·
Registered
718 Posts
I usually glance at them in the eyes to make them aware that I noticed they are staring, generally this works and they will quickly glance away and find the carpet to be the most interesting thing to study. :) Once I caught a boy in my martial arts class looking at me for extended periods of time and every time I caught his eyes his face would turn red and he would quickly adjust his gaze somewhere else.

I admit sometimes it can make me paranoid if I'm not sure why they are staring at me, a few weeks ago I was freaked whilst waiting for a teacher to arrive a girl kept staring at me and me acknowledging that I knew she was staring didn't work. I almost laughed aloud and had to control the grin on my face when I thought about posting about it on here. I've noticed that there are some people that just can't help themselves looking at people beyond what is comfortable for others and that she is most likely one of them.

·
Registered
116 Posts
It's always really confused me. Why are they starring?! what possible reason could you have? it happens to me all the time as i walk downtown. I don't think I'm so much a freak that i warrant a good stare as they go about their day. it seems to be some sort of subconscious greeting or acknowledgment. at least, if i had to take a wild stab at why people do it.

·
Registered
154,233 Posts
Acknowledge them or ignore them, they don't see anything wrong with you, if they do they don't exist. If you are female I don't know it might be a sign that they are interested and maybe a little shy.
....or even in a friendly way.

My trauma is so bad, it's like I have forgotten introductory stuff. Once I get past the initial, I am fine. :stu

·
Registered
324 Posts
For most of my life I would freak out when people stared at me. I assumed it was because they disapproved of my appearance. Finally got over that the last couple of years. Now I'm more in control of response, which could be:

1) Stare back -- in a cruisy situation
2) Ignore them -- usually
3) Smile or wave -- either freaks them out or they smile back, which is nice
4) Say "hello" -- to flirt

·
calm
264 Posts
I stare strict back, as long as the other part look away. I stare them dircetly in the eyes as long as they will look away, it is like a power struggle between two people. :D

1 - 20 of 26 Posts