Social Anxiety Support Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I can feel that wall in my head every time I'm in social situations. I don't even know how it got there or who put it there, but whoever did, did a damn good job if their goal was barring me from speech. I just don't get it. It's like my brain won't work. One the rare occasion someone is actually talking to me my mind is completely blank. It's like I never had a thought in the world and questions as everyday as what's up become difficult. So I just end up mumbling something that I hope sounds similar to nothing much or some other generic thing like that. Then when the appropriate answer finally comes to my brain the conversation is over. And none of this makes sense since I am constantly playing out conversations in my head. You'd think I'd be prepared!
That kind of turned into a rant but the title question still applies. How do you others with similar issues break down that wall?

·
Registered
30 Posts
"Tear down this wall"

Wall is a good analogy. When I am unable perform socially they way I'd like to or I am otherwise anxious, it's like facing a wall or being somehow limited an invisible mental boundary. It's like being locked somehow. What I've found helpful 1) therapy (analysing the anxiety) 2) doing things that you except to make you uncomfortable (sometimes itll go a lot better), pound that wall! 3) slowly extend your comfort zone by doing 2)

·
Registered
229 Posts
If your not used to having many conversations with others it could just be your lack of experience. While talking to others is something normal for most people, it's just like anything else that's "new" and requires practice if you are not used to it

·
Banned
3,564 Posts
Like the posters above me said, you just need to keep exposing yourself and learn from your mistakes. You'll never like talking to people if you stay hidden in the background. Also, relaxing helped me. I just remember that this conversation doesn't (or at least it shouldn't) mean anything. Especially if it's small talk. Small talk means literally nothing. You're just trying to pass the time and maybe have a few laughs. If it doesn't go perfectly, it's no big deal. Just keep trying, relax and be yourself, and learn from your mistakes :)

·
Registered
3,091 Posts
Just do it.

·
Registered
2,470 Posts
I also have this problem.
So I don't really have any advice, except, like the others have said, exposure.
I've also personally found that watching what other people talk about and trying to imitate them can be helpful.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts