Social Anxiety Support Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I tend to dwell... A LOT! On bad thoughts and things I really don't want to recall. I can't help but I do it even when I am busy.
How do you cope with that?

I tried meditating yesterday with a pen in my hand. I focused really really hard on the object in my hand... It's weight, the touch, etc...
And it kinda helped. Not so much but it was better than nothing. I think I just need more training on concentration. It's really hard trying NOT to think.

I wonder what everybody else does?

P.S. What I recall are not small problems I can fix/confront in current situations. They're flashbacks of really bad physical/sexual abuse experiences. I do go through therapy, but when I am alone at home, these issues crawl back to me mentally, making me really sick and disturbed. :(
I can't sleep some nights because of it. So I am kinda desperate for solutions/alternatives here.

·
Banned
1,376 Posts
an antidepressant meds sometimes helps with these problems, thgey are often caused by OCD

you can have several pleasant daydreams ready to counter the bad thoughts

·
stillborn
1,764 Posts
I have a hard time actually avoiding it per se, but I have some tactics (faulty as they may be) to fend them off. I usually say something out loud- doesn't matter who is around at the time. It's usually something absurd like, "Wow, I'm so ridiculous" or "People just like to do what they want...". Almost as if I'm combating the anxiety in my head.

I've actually did this a couple times sitting in class. One time in geography class we were watching Planet Earth and I had an onslaught of negative thoughts/memories. I actually said out loud to no one in particular, "I mean I just like to do what I want sometimes... you know?" Some people looked at me like this: :sus and snickered.

:flush

I don't know if you understood that... it's kind of hard to explain.

·
Professor Genius
80 Posts
I do that too...Unfortunately, I don't know how to control mine as well. Sometimes it's bad and sometimes it's not there.

I haven't tried this book but I've heard the book, "The courage to heal" is supposed to be pretty good. Have you tried that yet?

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I have a hard time actually avoiding it per se, but I have some tactics (faulty as they may be) to fend them off. I usually say something out loud- doesn't matter who is around at the time. It's usually something absurd like, "Wow, I'm so ridiculous" or "People just like to do what they want...". Almost as if I'm combating the anxiety in my head.

I've actually did this a couple times sitting in class. One time in geography class we were watching Planet Earth and I had an onslaught of negative thoughts/memories. I actually said out loud to no one in particular, "I mean I just like to do what I want sometimes... you know?" Some people looked at me like this: :sus and snickered.

:flush

I don't know if you understood that... it's kind of hard to explain.
haha! You know, I do say things out loud too! But its usually just some swearing like "dammit!" and then just repeating that. But that's more like when I'm in an aggravated mood and situation I can't handle. But thanks for sharing that story! It made me laugh which always helps :)

TigerLilyie< I'll try to find that book or something similar. You're right. Reading should help a lot. I just have a hard time focusing or finding something interesting enough to be distracting.

·
Registered
728 Posts
I thought this was about the usual SA negative thinking , But reading your post i can see that its different, maybe you could join some special forum about abuse(sexual), that maybe more help.

I have a lot of problems controlling my negative thoughts, i remember a lot of bad experiences and just dumb things i done :doh. the only thing that really seems to help is actively thinking about something you like than not thinking at all.

·
Registered
61 Posts
Reading is a really awesome thing do for nagging, negative thoughts. If you are christian, religous, or very deep and philisophical the Bible is a awesome choice. (the book of Proverbs, psalms, or anywhere in the New Testament)Self help, motivational, or inspirational books are terrific as well. Lately I have also been finding that auto/biographies are a good source for inspiration. I have come to find out that many prominent figures in our history as well as pop culture suffer the same aloofness or mediocrity as we do and it gives great incite as to how I should deal with these issues. Hopes this helps.

·
Registered
25 Posts
Certain situations are relived by something as simple as familiarity. An ex-lover, familiar or similar faces, names, locations or situations can trigger buried negative thoughts.

I tend you relive past events that I think ruined my path in life or relationships with people. Then I try to correct it in my thoughts by saying or doing what I think I should have done at that time. It doesn't make me feel any better but sometimes I have trouble controlling it.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts