Social Anxiety Support Forum banner
1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
831 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
"What do you do in your free time?" Whenever someone asks me this, I usually struggle to come up with an appropriate response. I would describe my life as being pretty inactive, so whever I'm not spending my time in school or at my job, I'm usually isolated and homebound, especially at this time of the year. My SA prevents me from attending any type of exciting social event, and I really don't feel the need to be constantly occupied with an activity 24/7. This question almost strikes me off guard, and I can't answer with absolute honesty, as it will make me look like a lazy, unproductive loser. To a certain extent, there may be a considerable amount of truth in that!

·
Numb
317 Posts
The best thing to do is say a few things, whether completely true or not & then ask them the same question. Most people love to talk about themselves.

·
Suffering in silence
1,196 Posts
Just say whatever it is that do you enjoy doing that isnt laying on the couch scratching your balls hehe j/k
I hate getting the "so what do you do?" question personally

·
Registered
831 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Just say whatever it is that do you enjoy doing that isnt laying on the couch scratching your balls hehe j/k
I hate getting the "so what do you do?" question personally
Thanks for mentioning that, I haven't done it in quite a while, hee hee. But in all seriousness, my life is shockingly uneventful.

·
SAS Member
2,118 Posts
I just tell them the truth - internet, games, listen to music. I don't believe my answers come as much of a surprise, as usually when I get asked that question people don't seem to ask with an open mind so much as couch the question in a specific way that makes it appear that they're simply attempting to validate their pre-conceived assumptions about me, i.e. that I don't have what they would consider to be a life.

·
Moving Towards Destiny
1,835 Posts
Sit around and belch and fart -- waste time ! :haha

( Sorry for the crude allusions but I hate that question too because if I told them the truth, they would realize what a dull, boring life I lead ! )

I spend a lot of time reading online, articles on current events, politics, philosophy, art, religion.

Watch movies and study software.

If I have time left over, I dabble in 3D art software making still images mostly of a surreal and fantasy theme.

Listen to online radio shows about political corruption.

Volunteer teaching and tutoring computer basics at a homeless shelter.

Volunteer as a Red Cross disaster member helping out in emergencies.

Go to church and church events, including a coffeehouse with free music and food.

Talk baby talk to my cat Moses ! LOL

Feed and talk baby talk to some stray cats.

Then after I am exhausted and tired I sit around and belch and fart and do nothing ! LOL

·
Registered
1,896 Posts
LOL I know that feeling. I feel like I'm not so interesting since most of my time is spent doing school work or just talking with friends. We don't do anything particularly exciting. Every now and then we'll head out and explore the city but it's not like every day or weekly.

·
SAS Member
Public Universal Enemy
43,361 Posts
I don't usually lie now. I don't really get asked that question though it's normally 'what have you been up to' and if I don't have something interesting to say I just say 'I've not been up to much, how about you?' and as another poster pointed out, that really does work most of the time.

·
Banned
901 Posts
Whether it's true or not, just say lately you've been so busy with school and work that you haven't really had a whole lot of free time.

·
Registered
658 Posts
i usually act all modest and self depricating in a funny way like "oh i'm kind of boring hehehe"... and then just list all the stuff I like which is socially acceptable.

1 - 20 of 23 Posts