Social Anxiety Support Forum banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
As well as people in general, I have a greater issue with people I know even as close as my own sister and father. If I walk into a shop and see someone I know I go into panic mode and jet out of there. I actually am on the constant lookout for them when I venture out, it's blimmen crazy. Just want to know if others feel like this.

·
Registered
152 Posts
I know a lot of older family friends, so I tend to just smile and hope they don't want any small talk. If it's someone I might've known from school, I hide and sneak out as quickly as possible.

·
is tired of the BS.
418 Posts
Same here :doorAnd usually I'm with my mom and she just insists on talking to any person we know, in the middle of an aisle or somewhere that might attract attention. I just end up standing there awkwardly and wanting to just melt in despair :flush

With my immediate family members, like around the house, I do get anxiety every now and then but mostly only if we have a "family discussion" :afr It's weird cause I like having the discussions cause it clears things up between us, but then obviously it's very anxiety inducing. And also I get these really disturbing, unwanted thoughts thanks to just my mind going out of control :help

·
Registered
2,810 Posts
Yes, the worst anxiety I feel is towards people I knew and haven't seen for a while because there's pressure to acknowledge them (since I know them) even though I have zero desire to converse with someone who has nothing to do with my current life. With complete strangers, I don't have anxiety and the same with those that are currently part of life (close friends/workmates).

·
Registered
115 Posts
yes, i definitely go through the same thing, i avoid contact with people i'm close to especially in social situations out of fear of embarassing myself or them

·
Nope, still not!
3,273 Posts
Around people I know well?

Well I guess I'm quite talkative at those times, talking, laughing, I guess I just act normal? I don't know to describe it lol...

·
♎ Mackinac Island Fanatic
28,958 Posts
I don't know many people...fortunately. The people I do know, for the most part, are old classmates, and yes, it's terribly awkward running into them, I hate it when/if they ask how I am and what I've been up to lately...I lie to the first question and tell them I'm doing fine (since who wants to hear how painfully lonely and useless I've felt for most of my adult life?), then tell them the truth to the second question and say I haven't been doing much, and that's pretty much the end of the conversation. They get this really awkward look on their faces and leave after that. Needless to say, if there's a chance to avoid such an interaction, I'll take it.

Ditto with former teachers, they always ask if I'm published yet, and are always disappointed by my answer. ;_; Relatives, they're near-strangers to me so I don't talk to them much either. I figure they think I'm a weird disappointment as well.

Like I said, fortunately I don't really know anybody else, and most of my classmates moved away so I don't have to worry a huge amount about running into them. I'm awkward with interactions with total strangers...I'm awkward with just about everybody. But at least strangers don't know my past and can't know what a disappointment I am.

·
Registered
11,960 Posts
I don't run into anybody that I know that often. When it comes to seeing my relatives I usually don't have that much to say to them. Around my parents or my brother I don't have a problem talking to them.

·
Registered
597 Posts
I actually act comfortably with people I know (e.g my classmates).
I'm really shy and insecure with people I don't know though.

·
Registered
141 Posts
family friends, friends I haven't seen in a while and extended family are the worst for me for big things. I feel like I have to have made something more of my life or done something amazing since I last saw them. Acquaintances and people from work are the worst for smaller things and general social awkwardness.

·
Registered
352 Posts
I act hella awkward around everyone, napoleon dynamite like almost. Lol. I HATE seeing old friends or people I haven't seen in a year or two. Sometimes even if I see someone, I'll walk by and pretend I didn't notice.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts