Social Anxiety Support Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Banned
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I know this seems to be a common concern for those suffering from SA, but does anyone else constantly wonder about their intelligence? I feel like others are quick to think of me as stupid or aloof because of my anxiety and I’m usually too nervous and timid to prove them otherwise. I become a totally different person when I feel like I am under scrutiny. My confidence disappears and every interesting thing I’ve ever experienced, read or wanted to talk about seem to be locked away in some inaccessible part of my brain. I’m just left with a dumb, worried look on my face and nothing to say.

I’d like to believe that this is all due to SA but sometimes doubt creeps in. I start to think that maybe everyone can just tell that I’m an idiot right off the bat. Maybe that’s why I can never succeed socially. Maybe that’s why everyone seems to look at me as if they are all in on some grand joke at my expense. I think that doubts about my intelligence are one of the main reasons I'm afraid to come out of my shell. I'm afraid to "Open my mouth and remove all doubt," so to speak. Even if I do have something meaningful to say, I usually say it in such an inarticulate manner that it seems to cancel out whatever substance my statement originally held. How can I get over the hurdle of other's perceptions of my intelligence? And how can I know whether I’m just being perceived as stupid or if I really am as stupid as I feel?

Sorry for the rant. It had been bottled up for a while.

·
SASsy
18,100 Posts
Well, I KNOW I'm smarter than most people think I am and that's good enough for me.

·
serious
340 Posts
Find a decent online iq test?
But always be prepared for results you don't want :)

What kind of books do you read? Are you good at math or music, etc tec
There's a lot of indicators.
Not everyone has the same type of smarts. Eg maths vs English, strategy vs musical

“Everybody is a genius. But if you judge a fish by its ability to climb a tree, it will live its whole life believing that it is stupid.”

·
miles away
1,217 Posts
I know what you mean, blue scholar.

·
Banned
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·

Not everyone has the same type of smarts. Eg maths vs English, strategy vs musical

"Everybody is a genius. But if you judge a fish by its ability to climb a tree, it will live its whole life believing that it is stupid."
I realize that there are supposedly multiple types of intelligence. I guess I was mostly speaking of academic intelligence, or whatever characteristics most people consider when they judge intelligence. For what it's worth, as a child I was in the gifted program and I took AP classes in high school, but nowadays isn't everyone supposedly "gifted"? I've scored above average on IQ tests but I'm not sure how accurate they are. As far as books, I've been reading this novel called "Stand on Zanzibar" by John Brunner and a collection of essays by Arthur Schopenhauer. I don't know if what I read really matters but some of my favorite authors are Ray Bradbury, David Foster Wallace, Twain, Kafka, Joyce and Dostoyevsky. Interests are so arbitrary, though. I don't see any of the answers to your questions as definitive marks of intelligence.

I guess I'd like to know if there is something apparent in the way I express myself that would make people think of me as stupid?
Is there some glaring deficiency in my writing, or my tone?
If that's not the case, why do so many people ignore my posts on this site?

·
Banned
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·

"Everybody is a genius. But if you judge a fish by its ability to climb a tree, it will live its whole life believing that it is stupid."
I realize that there are supposedly multiple types of intelligence. I guess I was mostly speaking of academic intelligence, or whatever characteristics most people consider when they judge intelligence. For what it's worth, as a child I was in the gifted program and I took AP classes in high school, but nowadays isn't everyone supposedly "gifted"? I've scored above average on IQ tests but I'm not sure how accurate they are. As far as books, I've been reading this novel called "Stand on Zanzibar" by John Brunner and a collection of essays by Arthur Schopenhauer. I don't know if what I read really matters but some of my favorite authors are Ray Bradbury, David Foster Wallace, Twain, Kafka, Joyce and Dostoyevsky. It's all so arbitrary, though. I don't see any of the answers to your questions as definitive marks of intelligence.

I guess I'd like to know if there is something apparent in the way I express myself that would make people think of me as stupid?

·
serious
340 Posts
It's possible it's your own perception.
Do they ever say they think you are stupid or give any factual evidence outside your own head? I personally wouldn't bother with what other people might think.
Those books and things as you say doesn't guarantee intellect but what does? Those authors certainly wouldn't be being read and understood by many stupid people that's for sure. Find some way to prove it to your own satisfaction if necessary, and ignore everyone else.

·
Registered
5,120 Posts
I think you deal with it by accepting yourself, your thoughts, and your behavior/actions for what they are without trying to evaluate everything, but of course that's easier said than done.

·
Registered
380 Posts
SA is such a doubting disease, really. Lol. Yeah, you're not alone. I wish I had some good advice to give you to overcome it, but I don't. To me, it's just a matter of self-acceptance and wisdom that comes with time.

929 Posts
I've been told for a long time now that I constantly downplay my intelligence and potential.

I could choose to life live vicariously through whoever the fuuck are today's well known celebrities, being an overly materialistic tool, buying into everything the media/corporations tell me and just being a generally brainwashed sack of shiit.

Instead I chose to educate myself on politics, economics and also things I love (like music, weight training, learning about nutrition etc) and do my best to develop critical thinking skills to see through the bullsheit.
I guess when do what I said in the latter paragraph rather than the aforementioned, you probably come across as a bit more intellectual and a bit more worldly/less self absorbed.

·
Registered
114 Posts
Look at some of the greatest minds over the last couple of centuries. Read some of the biographies. It's amazing to see how "messed up" some of these people were believed to be. Mostly because of their environment..Any connection with SA and low intelligence is far from the truth. I like Mrbik's quote “Everybody is a genius. But if you judge a fish by its ability to climb a tree, it will live its whole life believing that it is stupid.”....We have different paths, some more rare than others.

·
Fabulously Awkward
733 Posts
Instead of asking yourself the question, "How do I know that I'm not as stupid as I feel," ask yourself this question: "How do I know that other people are smarter than me?"

The answer is that you don't. You feel like other people are smarter than you because they can clearly articulate their thoughts and feelings, whereas your anxiety prevents you from doing so. But this has nothing to do with your intelligence. In fact, intelligence and interpersonal skills really aren't related at all. If they were, there wouldn't be any shy intelligent people, which clearly isn't true.
:clap

·
bill philbertson
404 Posts
Apparently Albert Einstein had difficulties in social situations. I heard somewhere one of his primary school teachers said on his report that he was slow or some s&^t. I agree with the people talking about not judging the fish by its ability to climb a tree.

Musicians have different intelligence to scientists who have different intelligence to leaders in other fields. Steve Wozniak who apparently was the mastermind behind a lot of the innovations that Steve Jobs promoted said that most innovators are shy and introverted like him. Jobs had the gift of the gab, Wozniak had a different skill set?!

Another thread somewhere on this site talked about people with SA generally being creative, but they creatively think of how social situations can go wrong and that makes them anxious! I think we generally tend to be overanalysers, which can result in analysis paralysis. We think before we open our mouths which is always a good thing, but only to a point!!

·
Registered
149 Posts
personal i think people suffering from sa is highly intelligence because we are using our brain more than other to cause anxiety from problem A we be thinking problem B, and B to C, while "normal" people think direct and able to social well.
anxiety make us feel unconformable , but fact is that we are thinking more to cause anxiety happen. if only we could think the other way round like a mind-map.
but sad to say we are lower in emotional intelligence for sure.

How bad you feel will be who you compare your iq too, eg if you compare with Albert Einstein, xD , be glad that god given us a healthy brain ,compare to those who are born with some damage in the brain which cause them unable to think/or even doing daily thing well ,
indeed we are much much more lucky and if we could we should help them.

·
Registered
324 Posts
I think everyone adopts a different method, but for me, I try not to think about it.

When I think I'm smart, it tends to backfire because I start justifying the stupid **** I do and wasting time congratulating myself. When I think I'm dumb, I get nervous that I'll do something stupid and that I'll never be able to finish the task that I have to do.

So these days I just think, whatever happens happens, and if I come off as dumb, well, other people do dumb stuff all the time, and some of them even brag about it. I won't think of myself as being inherently brilliant or inherently unintelligent. Just do what you have to do and say what you have to say.

There's nothing apparent in the way you write that indicates that you're stupid. It's probably just people skimming and only replying to posts that they have a relatively strong reaction to.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts