Social Anxiety Support Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
First of all, hand claps to the people with SA and holding down a J-O-B. I need to know how u do it man. I mean I am 22 years old and I never worked a day in my life because of SA. I did a little volunteer work here and there, but that's about it. I filled out some applications but that's as far as it went. I never had the heart or courage to actually send one in. I guess i keep thinking that when I do get a job I will be the outcast once again and everyone will think I'm slow or crazy. Don't get me wrong I do want to work so I can get out and meet some cool people, but I don't want my heart to feel like it's about to pop out of my chest either. Right now I am trying to avoid it by bouncing around different schools here in SC, but I know one day soon I will have to get a job and pay off those freakin student loans. :doh

So to everyone with SA and holding down a job please let me know how u did it?(especialy people close to my age) And how are u dealing with the two.(SA and working) Thanks, Nicole17

·
Registered
94 Posts
The anxiety is always WORST right before applying for jobs. The millions of questions and "what-if"s running thru your head!
But once you do it and just go thru with it it usually gets better. I'm 24 now and I had a part-time job when I was 18, then went to college for a year and didn't work, then got a full-time job at 19 and have been working fulltime (most of the time) since.
I've bounced around a little, but I guess that's all part of finding the best job fit for yourself. Most of the time I'm choosing between two evils: Not work and have no money and feel like a burden, or Work and deal with the crap that goes along with it and have money and a little achievment.
I guess it depends on what gets to you more.

·
Registered
296 Posts
Working with SA has it's ups and downs... in the ups it's far more cheerful to be with people and have that sense of being in a group everyday then to be at home... downside, you will have to deal with your anxiety a lot. Also the money and not feeling like you are beneath the whole world without a job is a perk. Really the only reason not to work is to say that anxiety has shut you down completely. That's ok for a little bit, but in the long run start getting all the help you can and doing what you can with your life rather than put it off or be afraid to do anything

·
Registered
775 Posts
nicole17, I'm in the exact same situation. A week ago, I tried to explain to a counselor at my college why I'd never worked and told her I'm too embarassed to apply for jobs because of my lack of experience at my age, which perpetuates my situation. She suggested that I try to apply for temp work. She said it doesn't require experience, just certain skills like basic computer skills, phone skills, etc. She said office work such as stuffing envelopes and receptionist jobs where I can be alone for the most part would be best for me since my anxiety got in the way of doing more readily available jobs for college students such as waitressing, retail, etc. I freak out at the thought of dealing with customers, not to mention co-workers. But I doubt they'd hire someone like me over other applicants who've actually worked before, so I'm not so sure about this option.
So, yeah... I don't know the first thing about how to look for temp work, and I didn't really think to ask my counselor at the time since she was grilling me about my SA so much, I was sweating . You should try to speak to a counselor at your school to see if she can help you think of what types of jobs you can do.

·
Registered
323 Posts
I'm looking for a full-time job at the moment and have never worked before. I just keep putting it off and have been doing so for the last few months. Lack of experience and lack of self-confidence are to blame I guess.

The job descriptions themselves put me off...looking for 'energetic, motivated, competitive, ambitious people with strong social skills' etc etc

Not much fun, especially when I see other people (some like myself) getting jobs...

·
Registered
94 Posts
When it comes to starting a new job, you can be sure of this: Things are going to happen that you never expected. This can be a good or a bad thing, depending how you look at it.
Yeah, there are going to be things about most entry-level jobs that just SUCK, but one thing I learned (and am still learning) is that you just have to go into a new job with an open mind, a fairly positive attitude, and a measure of patience. Sometimes you just have to ride it out, but then the next thing you know, you've been there several months and it's become familiar and not too scary and you now have that experience under your belt.
Of course, there's only a certain amount of crap a person should have to deal with. If there's some serious incompatibility between you and the job, then seach for something else. But don't give up. It really does lift a weight off one's shoulders to have some money in the bank and feel you're supporting yourself.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Thank u all for your advice i really appreciate it.

Sometimes i wish i could work with people just like me with SA, and know that i would be comfortable going to work everyday but thats only in my dreams. N e ways thank u again for your support.

Nicole

1 - 7 of 7 Posts