Social Anxiety Support Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
3,005 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
There's a guy at my workplace who I know gossips a LOT. He laughs at people and is very sarcastic sometimes.

Yet, people just love him. It's not like he has a bubbling personality but people just seem defend him, talk for him and be his friend all the time. How do some people do this? Do you think they send out some invisible "attract me" signals?

·
Registered
2,469 Posts
I think in the end people who gossip to much will get that sort of behavior backfired. The people who defend him probably don't know what sort of things he says behind their backs.

Though if he is sarcastic a lot it could be he is just doing it for laughs and not thinking that way for real. Maybe he is like that to himself more than anybody else.

People like to laugh. So if somebody makes you laugh you tend to like them.

Also don't feel bad for no replies in certain topics. Just means people can't relate to a situation and have no real say in the matter. :)

·
SAS Member
25,273 Posts
There's a guy at my workplace who I know gossips a LOT. He laughs at people and is very sarcastic sometimes.

Yet, people just love him. It's not like he has a bubbling personality but people just seem defend him, talk for him and be his friend all the time. How do some people do this? Do you think they send out some invisible "attract me" signals?
I think you are forgetting that most people are douche bags, and the bigger the douche bag you are the more douche bags you attract. That is my take on it anywho.

·
Registered
3,005 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thanks for replying guys. Really appreciate it.

He judges people, makes fun of them but not in that typical douche bag way. He does it when his subjects of scrutiny are not around and he knows how to make a point.

I just hate that the majority don't get he might do the same to them at some point.... And I am sure I am naturally one of his "weirdos" because I'm reserved, generally irritable and not in his social class.

·
Banned
3,061 Posts
Thanks for replying guys. Really appreciate it.

He judges people, makes fun of them but not in that typical douche bag way. He does it when his subjects of scrutiny are not around and he knows how to make a point.

I just hate that the majority don't get he might do the same to them at some point.... And I am sure I am naturally one of his "weirdos" because I'm reserved, generally irritable and not in his social class.
You really fear what he is saying behind your back.
What's the worst that he can say?
That you're a "weirdo"?
Come on. Don't worry about it. I've been called a weirdo even to my face. It hurt at the time but now I look back and take it as a compliment. I take it to mean: "eccentric, individual, unique, don't follow the sheep". And the person who said it, became the most unpopular person at work anyway and had to quit.
And weirdos are often very artistic people and can think outside the square. I prefer them to the more pack mentality personalities at work.

·
Registered
134 Posts
the void...

Why do u say youre not in sarcastic gossipers social class? Maybe the douche bag gossip isnt good enough to be in Your social class...

·
Registered
647 Posts
We live in a society today where bad behavior, such as gossiping, mean-spiritedness and sabotage, are rewarded and applauded and admired. You can see evidence of this in the media all the time. This kind of thing really started taking off in the 1980s, this culture of rudeness, arrogance, and cruelty/indifference to others.

·
Registered
3,005 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
We live in a society today where bad behavior, such as gossiping, mean-spiritedness and sabotage, are rewarded and applauded and admired. You can see evidence of this in the media all the time. This kind of thing really started taking off in the 1980s, this culture of rudeness, arrogance, and cruelty/indifference to others.
Totally agree :yes

·
Registered
12 Posts
^^^ This. And don't even get me started on the lying, berating, cheating on your significant other thing. I don't understand why it became "acceptable" to be a douchebag, but it's disgusting and pathetic.

OP, I would say that those who support/encourage this behavior in the workplace are doing so primarily because they're afraid/unwilling to deal with the consequences if they don't. It's easier to placate someone with that type of personality than it is to go against them. And keep in mind, this person who is exhibiting this behavior is unhappy with themselves on some level and that is why he feels the need to point out the "flaws" of others.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts