Social Anxiety Support Forum banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Banned
1,460 Posts
it's a mystery ooooohhh... i have no idea i guess they have a lot of things in common, "share the same interest" like heyrayray just said

·
Registered
30 Posts
Things in common, long history together... but also sometimes people aren't as close as they may seem. "Everyone has close friends" is probably more of a generalisation than you may realise.

·
Federalist
219 Posts
They share the same delusions. That's what you meant.
Why does it matter if something is true if it is useful? Say you have a map of Florida, while it is completely true, it does not help you when you need to get around Toronto.

Usefulness>Accuracy

·
Registered
2,996 Posts
They don't. Picture the infinite possibility to prepare for such an occasion. The world's greatest mathematician still takes time to process such a hurrendous vastness of silence, and always comes to the truth too late. Imagine he who could call up from inside all of himself before a stranger, all he found intriguing enough propelled into the darkness. What a performance, what an embarrassment to all that is human.

It is an infinite impossibility and potential.

·
OMG
237 Posts
Why does it matter if something is true if it is useful? Say you have a map of Florida, while it is completely true, it does not help you when you need to get around Toronto.

Usefulness>Accuracy
What's the use of usefulness? Usefulness is good until we die. Then it becomes useless.

I can't answer your question accurately, but personally I'm drawn to finding the truth. Don't know why, but that's just how I am.

Edit: Actually, I can add a bit to this post. I seek continuity. I don't like having systems that explain some phenomena but then are inaccurate explaining others. I want to find a system that is flawless: truth.

·
Registered
799 Posts
I have one close friend. We somehow connect really well. We just look at eachother and know what the other one is thinking. But then, when it comes to anyone else, I'm completely clueless on how to connect with them. They never understand or know what I'm talking/thinking about when I say something or give them "that look."

·
Federalist
219 Posts
What's the use of usefulness? Usefulness is good until we die. Then it becomes useless.

I can't answer your question accurately, but personally I'm drawn to finding the truth. Don't know why, but that's just how I am.

Edit: Actually, I can add a bit to this post. I seek continuity. I don't like having systems that explain some phenomena but then are inaccurate explaining others. I want to find a system that is flawless: truth.
Take physics for example: Newtonian stuff explains big things, and Quantam stuff explains the small stuff. We still get lots great useful things out of it. Why does it have to be a single system?

Where are looking for this 'truth'? How will you know when you find it?

·
OMG
237 Posts
Do you think its possible that you are projecting a version of your truth on to the world and trying to uncover what your truth is?

Where are looking for this 'truth'? How will you know when you find it?
I was going to blow you off and curse at you, but then you might actually have something there. Not that your arguments are at all great.. they're flawed as hell, but something has inspired me. Let me get back to you.

·
Federalist
219 Posts
I was going to blow you off and curse at you, but then you might actually have something there. Not that your arguments are at all great.. they're flawed as hell, but something has inspired me. Let me get back to you.
Happy to help :)

·
Shred to shreds.
93 Posts
Wow, this question brings me back so many memories. Too much nostalgia's unhealthy, but I'll tell you how I met one of my closest friends. I started attending this church against my wishes because my parents forced me to. There was this bassist in the praise team there who would always stare me down. I had pretty bad SA, but I would give him glaring looks while standing in the audience (I could tell he's looking right at me since there was only like 10 people in the room). This would happen every week I went there. Soon, the church had a retreat together, and all the boys were assigned to one room. The heater didn't work though, so all the boys were sent to another building to sleep. I just hung around since I didn't feel sleepy at all, and three other guys did too. The bassist was one of them. We ended up chatting among the four of us, but I didn't talk much since I didn't have anything good to say. But we just sort of got along somehow and they invited me to come hiking. It was like 3 in the morning, so it was completely dark. We decided to take some chocolate bars along, but since it was inside the other room where the boys were sleeping in, we had to sneak in. Everybody was asleep, so we snuck in and snuck out again. Then we went to some hilltop with our chocolate and started telling stories. Since it was dark outside and we couldn't really see each other's faces too well, I had the confidence to tell a story of my own. Both the guys cracked up at my story, which was the first time I saw the bassist smile at me. Smiles are white, so it was noticeable in the dark. After that, we saw the moon set within 30 seconds and saw a sea of fog below the hilltop. We decided the next time we were going to do this, we were going to bring some chicks and some firewood along. It was such a magnificent experience. The bassist guy admitted that he did want to sock me in the face before, and I did too. Then we decided that if anyone talked **** about me or him, we would beat the kid up. In fact, he and I got along so well after that that I moved into his house just to go to the same school. But a few months after that, my depression and SA kicked in so bad that I quit school and left his house. I still regret having made that decision, but I was basically a non-functioning human being by then. But this experience happened completely by chance. I didn't expect us to become best friends at all. I thought we were going to end up being worst enemies, but you never know. Sorry, got carried away typing this long story, but that's how I met my closest friend. Mind you, we didn't have any similar interests at all. It was just a bonding that developed out of the blue.

I had terrible SA when I met my closest friend, and no common interests whatsoever. We even used to hate each other. It just happened in one night, and was completely by chance. My mom used to tell me, how are you going to get a close friend if you're not even going to go outside much to meet one? There are 6 billion people in this world, and SA does not always mean you cannot find a close friend. I used to come up with all these excuses why I can't find any friends, but in the end all the excuses don't mean anything. It can happen anywhere at anytime, and a friendship's only genuine if it didn't require skill to make it.

·
Clever Status Title
1,049 Posts
Real easy actually: Stop waiting for people you know to call you up. Call them up to hang out, and don't be annoying = instant close friend.

·
Registered
5 Posts
I always think about this. ):

Real easy actually: Stop waiting for people you know to call you up. Call them up to hang out, and don't be annoying = instant close friend.
How do you keep the relationship going in order to form closer bonds? That's the harder part imo..

·
Clever Status Title
1,049 Posts
I always think about this. ):

How do you keep the relationship going in order to form closer bonds? That's the harder part imo..
More hanging out: shared actives and experience. Do things together and you've build your own shared-rapport.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts