Social Anxiety Support Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello everyone,
I'm Jessie, a 22 yr old Aussie chick, and a bit of a newie here. I've already had a look around and made a few posts, but thought I'd make my formal entrance.

I'm very excited to have found this place, it's overwhelming (and really bizarre at times) to read all these posts and realise that not only am I not alone, but I'm really not unique at all! I'm reading posts and thinking "Gee I can really relate, I'd better reply" only to scroll down and find my exact reply has already been written a hundred times over! I just feel so great that I've found so many sympathetic ears, but at the same time it's a bit depressing because I really wouldn't wish my life on anyone, yet here we all are...

Basically I'm just really confused at the moment. Most of my workmates perceive me as this confident, outgoing person, and fair enough, I put a lot of effort into trying to act like a normal person, but how can they not see how hard it is? On occasions that I've told some of my workmates that I'm really reserved and shy, I don't think they really believe me, it's always "But you're so friendly! But you're always making jokes!" And on reflection I realise that I don't really understand myself at all. I could easily describe myself as a happy person (and i think that's how most people would describe me) but I'm empty. I'm just empty.

It's tiring feeling like I have all these different personalities (and as a result the pressure of living up to them) and I can't keep living like this. I just want to be one person. I've decided I should go to my doctor, but I'm terrified. I don't know how I should go about it, I'm tempted to go to a doctor I've never met before, because of the anonymity. But I keep convincing myself they'll judge me or that I don't actually have Anxiety Disorder (and I totally do) and it will just be embarrassing. I'm too scared to approach my family- conveying emotions has never been popular in our household. I worry they'll tell me that everyone feels like this and I'm just being a drama queen, even though I have no reason to believe they won't support me.

I think all I need is reassurance. So if you feel like it, maybe throw me a little bit of encouragement, it might help me stop talking myself into a panic and just do it!

Thanks so much for reading guys, catch you round the forum!

·
Registered
166 Posts
Is your doctor an old geezer? It's been my experience that older doctors are more reluctant to prescribe something for anxiety or depression than younger doctors. If I were you, I'd see a therapist first. A therapist can tell you what, if anything, is wrong with you. Don't worry about embarrassing yourself. Every time I talk to my therapist, I'm embarrassed. But I know it's something I need to do if I want to get better. :blank

·
Banned
177,223 Posts
Hey Jessie welcome. :)

·
Banned
38,431 Posts
:wel

·
unashamed perv
1,786 Posts
Hello and welcome :) Good luck with seeking help and telling your family. If the doctor you decide to tell is a proper professional, sie won't judge you. The worst that can happen is that you don't like the doctor you see and sie doesn't help you, in which case you'll just have to try another doctor!

Ask yourself "what's the worst that can happen?" - it works for me.

·
Registered
154,235 Posts
Welcome, TheStorm! :)

1 - 8 of 8 Posts