Social Anxiety Support Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
471 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey every one. I need some real advice because right now I'm feeling very bad and having thoughts about ending it all.

Currently I'm going to therapy taking meds and I'm no longer afraid to leave the house. I'm also taking online classes to get my highschool diploma. I can go out by myself no problem but I have no idea how to engage people. I just want to have a decent relationships with another human being. I can't even hug people with out feeling awkward. I'm visibly depressed and look restless with dark lines under my eyes and I feel very self conscious because of it.

Any one here who has some what of a social life, please give me some pointers because I don't even know where to start? I know volunteering might be good for exposure so I'm working on getting that started. Besides that does any one have any pointers for me?

·
Registered
3 Posts
Hey :)
What I'm about to tell you my sound like a cliche but trust me, I'm telling you from my experience. It worked out for me..

First of all : no matter how difficult your situation might be, there's always a way out. The question is, however, will you put some effort in overcoming the problem, or allow your mind to convince you to give up everything. And whatever you do, just don't give up, keep going! even if it's one small step at a time.

Relationships will come spontaneously, after you work out your feeling awkwardly around people problem. Concentrate on that for now.
Remember that everything is in your head, and sometimes the best you can do is just to try to ignore it for a moment. For example, when meeting new people I could feel the panic,100 reasons why someone wouldn't like/accept me would pop up in my mind. And then once, I just decided to ignore and pretend I'm confident. I did it, and smiled..It worked out great.

When you decide to do that, It's time for exposure. Volunteering is a great idea.

·
Registered
22 Posts
HI! I probably havent been out of touch with people for as long as you have, but I have been isolating myself for a few months and I can honestly say the feeling is terrible. It's great to see that you are showing progress! (e.g. leaving the house, pursuing your education online, etc) so good for you. And I think you already made the first step by deciding that you want change. For me, when I went out of isolation I'd help myself by constantly repeating affirmations like"I'm okay when I'm with others", "I'm not in danger" etc. I guess my biggest problem is I try too hard to impress or accomodate other people and being unhappy with myself. So I guess the biggest issue here is accepting yourself for who you are. Sure, not everyone will immediately want to be friends, but when you allow yourself to just be yourself, I think you will encourage others to like you as well. Good Luck.

·
Registered
15 Posts
I said this on another thread, baby steps. Say hello to neighbors, go to the store and have small banter with the clerk when you pick up groceries. I still suck at both of these, but then again I think in this day and age a lot of people don't say hi much... At least on my street. haha

·
Registered
338 Posts
I've been isolating myself for about ten years to an extent. To the extreme as of the past two years. On the occasional weekend I'll see two of my friends, but more often than not I don't.

I can go to the store to make a purchase, or say hello to the neighbor. I can't hold a conversation with anyone, however. I'm too afraid to apply for a job currently, despite having 3 in the past that I stuck to. It's like everything has just reset and I'm back in the shoes of who I was 5 years ago.

I get by practicing being optimistic and incorporating mindfulness into my life. I try not to think a lot or else my irrationality will conquer me. In the furthest recesses of my mind I feel weak, a lesser person than everyone else. Still, I keep trying to feel happy most days.

Take small steps. If you're afraid of exposing yourself to the world, do it in small increments.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts