Social Anxiety Support Forum banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Banned
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
i'm in my low 20's and my arms look like they belong to a 13 year old.

thy're like 6 inches by the wrist and 8 inches around the bicept, i'm embarresed to wear short sleeves.

any ideas?

I was thinking that if i lift waight's with my forearm, that might get my forearms a lttle bigger but what about the wrist?!?!?!?

·
Registered
90 Posts
You know those things that you can squeeze with your hands? Try those. They help build up your wrist muscles. Also, doing curls with weights will help build your biceps, and if you curl light weights, bending your wrists toward your body at the end of the motion, your forearms and wrists will benefit more.,

·
Banned
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Standing Biceps Curl
Forearms Curl
Forearms preacher curls
Farmer's walk (Good for developing grip)
:con
could you please explain exactly how to do each one, i'm not familiar with the jargon. (i.e. curl, etc.)

·
Registered
249 Posts
Hey #0000.

You certainly need to lift weights. Judging by your arm measurements I am guessing your a very skinny guy. So while lifting weights is an important part, there is somethign even more important. You need to eat big. Since you are skinny, you probably have a high metabolism and can get away without eating such a clean diet. The healthier your diet, the better results you will see though. If you want to find out exactly what kind of diet a bodybuilder should be eating http://www.abcbodybuilding.com is a great forum with dieting and workout methods backed by scientific research.

For a quick answer. You need a good balance of carbs a protein and a smaller amount of good fats.
Oatmeal, Sweet Potatoes, Brown Rice, Chicken, Turkey, Steak, Egg whites, Fish, Almonds, Peanut Butter, and lots of Green Leafy Veggies are the staples of a bodybuilding diet. It can be very hard to keep enough protein in the body with whole foods so most use a protein shake after workouts to get a quick source of it and to keep up with daily protein requirements.

Ok, thats enough preaching on eating. If you want to lift to gain mass the best way is to stick to large compound movements and to pick a weight that is heavy enough for you to go to failure at 10 repetitions. (meaning you can lift the weight 10 times and you fail to lift it the 11th).

I think the best exercises would be Pullups, Bench Press (Flat and Incline), Shoulder Press, Squats, Leg Press and Deadlifts. http://abcbodybuilding.com/slideshow.php?id=16&subId=37 Here at ABC they have examples of how to properly do each one of these exercises, plus 100's of other great ones.

The ones I mentioned would give your entire body a workout and would be the best way to develop size. Once you begin to get stronger in all these lifts, start incorporating specific exercises to target the biceps and forearms as well as specific exercises for all the muscle groups.

Today is my Day 1 in the gym after a year lay off, so maybe we can track our progress together. Good luck and if you have any other questions I'd love to answer them for you.

EDIT: I just noticed your question about the wrist. Unfortunately you cant increase the size of your wrists, but having big forearms will take away notice from your wrists.

·
Registered
497 Posts
Arms, especially forearms are tough to grow without God's help. They won't grow out of proportion to the rest of your body. Don't think that by doing x trillion curls and neglecting other lifts you will grow your arms. With small muscles (not that yours are small--the arm is made up of relatively small muscles) less direct training is usually more.

·
Banned
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I don't wanna get into heavy body building now, I just wanna focus on my arms now. and mayby get my abs
a little pumped.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Deacon said:
peace81 said:
How do you get taller?
I don't think there's any way to get taller. But Hindu Pushups will make your back more aligned giving you a more proper stance.

http://www.bodybuilding.com/fun/mahler19.htm
Actually you can, I read about this horrible process people go through to get an extra inch or two. They break their legs and put them in some device that makes the bones grow out to eachother. ...pretty gruesome...

I have really small wrists as well, my middle finger and thumb can easily fit around my wrist with a little to spare.

·
Registered
127 Posts
I think it's hard to make the wrists much bigger since there is no major muscle there. Some people(like me) are just small-boned.

·
Banned
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
I'm trying those things you squeez with your hands.
also tried 5 lb. waights 20-30 curls a few days ago, did some stretching afterwards for like 2 min.
muscles still sore, is there some kind of stretching you should do for a certain amount of time?

The other thing is, alot of times b/c i'm tense i cant hold down foods (ends up in the jon) or i dont have a apetite.

·
Registered
742 Posts
i find it hard to put on muscle gain also are my arms, you should try pushups,/ crunches and lots of biceps curls and those hand things work well too, remember you arent gong to see results right away it takes time, maybe perhaps trying a muscle supplement called creatine?

·
Registered
17 Posts
There's a lot of good information in this thread.

About getting taller...you can get taller maybe a few inches if you have bad posture. Learn to improve your posture. I've been reading a very good book that teaches you the value of good posture and it has a detailed list of exercises you can do to improve your posture. The book is titled "Posture Alignment" by Paul D'Arezzo. You can find that book on Amazon.com

You can also go for the invasive method, surgery. Type in "limb lengthening" into google and learn about it, but I wouldn't recommend it at all. You basically break your bones, either in your lower leg and/or thigh and then put in some device to regrow the bone longer than it normally is. It's extremely painful. I have a friend who is still undergoing the recovery stage of the surgery and he's happy about it, but the pain is intense. He's gained nearly 8 cm from his original height of 5'3".

·
Registered
103 Posts
im short, i used to be 120 lb

after working out for half a year, im at 133lb now

and working out improves your SA cuz u feel better about yourself

so far i got 2 compliments from my friends. they think that im on roids when im not. it shows really how much larger i got.

its also nice how my best friend began feeling up my arm, and would lift my shirt to check my back out once in a while, before she wouldnt.

along with building muscles, i also need to get a sun tan, bceause looking pale isnt all that attractive, since its summer.

so it helped me alot with SA, being bigger and tanned

1 - 14 of 14 Posts