Social Anxiety Support Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

· Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm working on improving my dance skills so that I could possibly get into a dance university. I am really passionate about dance and wanted to share it with someone I know. This was a mistake, because when I did, they just ridiculed me. He said it was dumb and would not take me anywhere in life. It hurt because I am quite reserved and tend not to share such information about my life with others but decided to step out of my comfort zone for once. These type of situations keep me from doing that 😔

· (.*?)
10,188 Posts
He's going to have a sad life, only going places in it that have the best $$$ prospects and not understanding the value of having a passion for something or a creative outlet for expression. So maybe you should just focus on feeling sorry for him.

· Registered
90 Posts
I would say he's dumb for not recognizing the awesomeness of going to dance school. That's sounds like a lot of fun.

I just had something like this happen to me today also. My co-worker asked me why I came to work early, and I told her that I have an appointment later in the day. Then she asked why I am going to so many appointments and that I can't be that sick. I wanted to tell her that it's none of her business, but I just walked away from her. I kinda wished I hadn't told her about my appointment.

· Super Moderator
10,208 Posts
Sorry to hear you went through that. He sounds like a toxic person. Words of toxic people like that should be taken with little to zero credibility. They are almost always wrong and are intentionally out to hurt others for amusement. Try not to dwell on their words, cut off from that person and focus on other more positive people out there instead that you will meet along the way.

· Registered
5 Posts
I would say he's dumb for not recognizing the awesomeness of going to dance school. That's sounds like a lot of fun.

I just had something like this happen to me today also. My co-worker asked me why I came to work early, and I told her that I have an appointment later in the day. Then she asked why I am going to so many appointments and that I can't be that sick. I wanted to tell her that it's none of her business, but I just walked away from her. I kinda wished I hadn't told her about my appointment.
Yeah wow... like do people not get taught boundaries? Or just basic empathy! It's not like you can tell by looking at someone what they're going through. Fair play for just walking away though!

· Registered
11 Posts
I'm working on improving my dance skills so that I could possibly get into a dance university. I am really passionate about dance and wanted to share it with someone I know. This was a mistake, because when I did, they just ridiculed me. He said it was dumb and would not take me anywhere in life. It hurt because I am quite reserved and tend not to share such information about my life with others but decided to step out of my comfort zone for once. These type of situations keep me from doing that 😔
Sounds like a belligerent criticism.
Try to find positive intent in his words. And forgive him for not being able to say criticism properly. People are imperfect.

· Registered
36 Posts
I think your love for dance is awesome. Maybe he's jealous because he doesn't have that kind of passion in his own life. 🤷‍♀️

· Registered
4,759 Posts
Sometimes when people say “your dream is dumb”, it is because they are bitter they didn’t get to follow their dreams.

Some times it is because they have a narrow mind frame and have set opinions on what people should be doing with their lives.
Either way, he shouldn’t have said that.
Try not to think too much of it. He’s just one person

· Registered
19 Posts
That guy makes me angry! He sounds like a narrow-minded person who lacks social skills. Don't let his words get to you. You're making a bold and brave choice, and such a career choice can be hard for some people to swallow. I work on start-ups, and many people don't get that either. Someone once told me that I'm not brave enough if no one is questioning or laughing at my decisions. That advice helped me care less about naysayers.

But I also know that forgetting hurtful words is easier said than done. When I struggle to let go, I do CBT thought record journaling. It helps me decrease the noise in my head and to let go. Guided meditation about forgiveness can also help, but I find that only works if I first reduce the noise in my head with journaling.

I'm sorry you had to experience that. Don't give up on your dream, and also don't give up on sharing it with others. All people are not as clueless as that guy.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts