Social Anxiety Support Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
580 Posts
With the new year starting soon, I've decided to seek help for my anxiety. I've never been to any kind of medical professional relating to my psychological problems, so I figured it's a good time to start. I'm mainly looking for something to help me control my physical problems (heart racing, spinning thoughts, etc.) so that I can at least assert myself properly and appear normal.

My question here is: Who do I need to make an appointment with and what can I expect to get from the first visit? Also, how do I ask for help without looking like a kid who just wants some free drugs? What should I say?
If you are looking for medication , then you should see a Psychiatrist ( doctor). If you are looking for therapy then you should see a psychologist( therapist).

Your general practitioner will probably see you first , then you can take it with him from there . Good luck

·
SASsy
18,107 Posts
I would start with going to a GP or family doctor first. He/she will give you a physical to rule out any other problems. He/she will probably put you on some SSRI at first. If you don't improve soon he/she will probably refer you to a shrink.

·
Banned
4,394 Posts
As was said above, see your general practitioner first to rule out any obvious physical causes. From there start seeing a psychiatrist. I would advise writing down all of your symptoms, how long you have suffered and to what degree, etc. write down what treatments you have tried diet, exercise, meditation, etc. Write down what particularly is bothering you, what you need the most help with, etc. And start working with your psychiatrist.

Remember to carefully research any drugs your doctor prescribes and work actively WITH your doctor to find the best medication for you instead of just taking whatever they give you. Also give your doctor accurate feedback of how their prescribed treatments help/don't help you.

Best of luck, ask us if you have any further questions. Good job taking a step now to get better man, it can be scary but it's worth it.

·
Banned
4,394 Posts
With the new year starting soon, I've decided to seek help for my anxiety. I've never been to any kind of medical professional relating to my psychological problems, so I figured it's a good time to start. I'm mainly looking for something to help me control my physical problems (heart racing, spinning thoughts, etc.) so that I can at least assert myself properly and appear normal.

My question here is: Who do I need to make an appointment with and what can I expect to get from the first visit? Also, how do I ask for help without looking like a kid who just wants some free drugs? What should I say?
"Hey doc, I gots the neurosis real bad. I heard that you can hook me up with some good drugs for that. Let's see, we'll do 150 xannie bars per month, might as well throw in like 2000 mg of Desoxyn per month, Give me some 'dat Xyrem too... what else you got back there SA? Oh yeah I think that some OC 160's will help out too so throw in a bunch of those, we'll talk some more soon."

1 - 6 of 6 Posts